+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Good films

I've been to see it today as well OC.

Certainly thought provoking about what the press should/shouldn't be allowed to publish, and how they get the information in the first place.
    What are your thoughts on Wikileaks and Julian Assange?

The film convinced me that, in this case, the paper was brave and correct in publishing.

Freedom of the press is ***** in a decent democracy - but there must be limits.

I think we will all agree that the phone hacking scandal was a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Certainly thought provoking about what the press should/shouldn't be allowed to publish, and how they get the information in the first place.

The film convinced me that, in this case, the paper was brave and correct in publishing.

I think the attempts by Hacked Off and other rich and powerful people to close down our free press is a disgrace. Just so they can take the piss at their leisure and us riff-raff will never know.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

I think the attempts by Hacked Off and other rich and powerful people to close down our free press is a disgrace. Just so they can take the piss at their leisure and us riff-raff will never know.

Milly Dowler Sinkov?
    Last edited by 1959_60; 24-01-2018 at 09:43 PM.

And do you think the press should be able to tap Sean Dyche's phone, to listen in to personal calls to his family, or discussing a transfer with one of his targets?

Phone hacking is/was illegal 59/60, over 100 journalists were either interviewed under caution, arrested or charged, some ended up in prison, the News of the World closed down. The law did it's job, what's the problem ?

My original point was over phone hacking.

The Leverson inquiry was set up as a result. It proposed a code of conduct for the press to work with.

Hacked Off basically agrees with the findings of the report and are making sure that action is taken. The Government has kicked it into the long grass recently, but the Lords are keeping them honest.
    http://hackinginquiry.org/mediarelea...abuse-victims/

Yes, by definition, most of the victims will be famous. They are trying to produce a story. But not all. Milly Dowler for one.

If it is OK to pursue a group of people, spy into their private lives, and then make it public, then could you define who is fair game and who isn't? Sean Dyche? He fits the "rich and powerful" tag.

Should there really be one rule for the rich and another one for the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Phone hacking is/was illegal 59/60, over 100 journalists were either interviewed under caution, arrested or charged, some ended up in prison, the News of the World closed down. The law did it's job, what's the problem ?
    None of this is anything to do with the Post which was about supposedly secret papers reviewing US Vietnam involvement over 25 years being removed from Government files and photocopied then given to two newspapers.

The Supreme Court in the US eventually agreed that publication was in the public interest by 6-3. Nixon banned all Washington Post reporters from the White House (Good Bob Lord style) only for the film to end with the possibly break in at the Watergate Hotel!

Press freedom here has been curbed by Leveson though I wonder how some like Piers Morgan escaped investigation after he was tipping Celebs to change their message password well before Milly Dowler and adopts self righteous crusading stances on many things as if he were some god or other.

NOTW was shut down by Murdoch after false news stories in the Guardian claiming they had deleted messages on Millie s phone. It is now accepted these were deleted automatically.
    Last edited by oldcolner; 24-01-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    None of this is anything to do with the Post....
    agreed - I thought it had more to do with the New York Times....being it was they that first released the papers - but then they didn#t have a female publisher....more Hollywood Propoganda than press freedom imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    agreed - I thought it had more to do with the New York Times....being it was they that first released the papers - but then they didn#t have a female publisher....more Hollywood Propoganda than press freedom imho.

Yes you are right.
    It’s as though Hollywood had made a movie about the Times’ triumphant role in Watergate - was one criticism

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)