+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gender Pay Gap

Gender Pay Gap

Can anyone defend this?

Average men's weekly wage is £592.
    Average woman's weekly wage is £494.

The figures come from the ONS and are taken across various jobs.

To me it is a no brainer that men and women should get the same wage for doing the same job.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ut-is-still-91

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    Can anyone defend this?

Average men's weekly wage is £592.
    Average woman's weekly wage is £494.

The figures come from the ONS and are taken across various jobs.

To me it is a no brainer that men and women should get the same wage for doing the same job.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...ut-is-still-91
    Not defending, but explaining. Many employers pay people the same wage for the same job. However average wages are not always based on job matching, so if there are more men in promoted posts their average pay will be higher. Many women take a career break to have family and are on lower pay when they return. Some jobs are better suited to one of the ***es eg midwives.

I take it you would like women footballers to be on Suarez wages.

I agree it is a complicated subject OC.

But the recent revelations from the BBC and other organisations on this issue suggest that it goes deeper than that.

The BBC have been publicly outed and you would expect changes there. Other companies do not have the same media interest and so there may be a reluctance to change things.

As for Sanchez...a big girls blouse and I think he could ruin United's very obvious good dressing room spirit.

EDIT - Sorry, I misread that - you mentioned Suarez (£290K per week). Peanuts compared to Messi, or even Sanchez.
    Last edited by 1959_60; 25-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Which is the bigger girl's blouse, Suarez or Sanchez?

I'm not biting BT

Yes the BBC don’t have a good record, though again their figures are distorted by the number of shows people do and whether they are paid through a fee or a salary or through a company. There are lots of Equal Op employers MPs, NHS, education, universities. Often for many it’s a job not a career so there are more men in higher positions.
    Re broadcasting, we don’t really have any women on TV of the calibre professionalism and drive of Oprah or Ellen deGeneres over here,
    Claudia Winkelman earns a lot but on several shows.

The girl that works in Ladbrokes who I talk to claims that she's on less wages than the male sitting next to her

It's very subjective OC, but the top three earners at the BBC are,

1/. Chris Evans
    2/. Gary Lineker
    3/. Graham Norton

The highest paid woman (Claudia Winkleman) earns around 20% of Chris Evans wage.

She is the only woman in the top 14 (she is 8th), which includes Steve Wright, Alan Shearer and Stephen Nolan.

You must make your own mind up if you agree with this.

But the point is, there is a lot of public interest in the BBC, not so much in other large businesses. Yet I bet the situation will be similar, or even more skewed, in most of these organisations.
    Last edited by 1959_60; 25-01-2018 at 01:11 PM.

Claudia is an air head who brings no added value, whereas Norton brings ideas, contacts and does several different shows.
    No idea what Evans does but he does a lot of it. ,

There are a lot of very talented women at the BBC who have accepted the salary offered to them. As the BBC claims they have to pay top dollar or their staff will move elsewhere, you have to assume these women have not been offered better remuneration by any other prospective employer. And yet the BBC men are paid far, far more, seems like our national broadcaster has enormous scope to reduce it's wage bill and give better value to us licence fee payers. But will they, or will they hike women's pay up to equal that of their overpaid men ? I'll give you 3 guesses, and you can say **** twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)