+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Like watching England

Like watching England

Slow, too much side to side passing, predictable and poor crossing. Lundstrum was doing a Ray Wilkins impression. The pigs were there for the taking and I cannot understand why Wilder did not change the midfield for the last 20 minutes. Overall a very frustrating night.

We're not coping with the expectation, same as England.

Burton away could be the worst thing to happen to us this season. Not only did we lose Coutts for the season, but we went top of the league. Up until that point we'd been the plucky underdogs punching above their weight. From that point we became legitimate contenders and the whole mindset changed, even that of Wilder's.

I think Wilder needs to take the pressure off the players and stop buying into this promotion push B.S. Because the fans have bought into it as has the media but clearly the players can't perform to the same level with the amount of expectancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade for Life View Post
    Slow, too much side to side passing, predictable and poor crossing. Lundstrum was doing a Ray Wilkins impression. The pigs were there for the taking and I cannot understand why Wilder did not change the midfield for the last 20 minutes. Overall a very frustrating night.
    there was absolutley no forward movement from our forwards for lundstrum to pass to,so not his fault, lundstrums job is to get the ball then pass it to our creative players ie fleck n duffy which he did weather it be backwards forwards or sideways. dont blame lundstrum for the other players not giving him an option for a forward pass. he keeps the ball better than any other player which he,ll have been asked to do by his boss. besides how can ya play a killer pass in behind when the team ya playing as dropped that far back theres no space to play into.

Quote Originally Posted by GuancheBlade View Post
    We're not coping with the expectation, same as England.

Burton away could be the worst thing to happen to us this season. Not only did we lose Coutts for the season, but we went top of the league. Up until that point we'd been the plucky underdogs punching above their weight. From that point we became legitimate contenders and the whole mindset changed, even that of Wilder's.

I think Wilder needs to take the pressure off the players and stop buying into this promotion push B.S. Because the fans have bought into it as has the media but clearly the players can't perform to the same level with the amount of expectancy.
    In fairness, we’d already gone top of the league the month previous at Leeds GB. Coutts’s Loss has been massive, hopefully the new recruits will help us get that scoring zip back, I still think Billy has a big part to play we we can create more. Stevens’s form is a concern.

i agree with twirlo our front 2 were very poor last night thought wilson looked interesting when he came on but i really think chris needs to have a look at this 3 5 2 system and teams have sussed us out as pigs did last night doubling up on our wing backs not enabling us to get crosses in i would like to see leon up top with brooks and holmes just in behind either side of him and go 4 at the back

Quote Originally Posted by Longshortandtall View Post
    I dont think its coping with expectation although you could argue a number of players were taking the safety first route last night. They set up the same way as us and it was stalemate. Its about having a plan B which we are not seeing much evidence of this season. Last year in the majority of games Basham was pushed up into midfield and we went 4 at the back to get around teams.

Last night when the pigs went down to 10 it was a perfect opportunity to go 4 at the back push Basham into midfield and bring Sharp on for Lundstram who was ineffective largely due to the Pigs sitting deep. 3 up front would have given them more to worry about. I don't know what was going through CW's mind but the Pigs seemed to benefit more from the sending off than we did. Donaldson was causing problems whilst Rhodes was ineffective. He was taken off for Boyd to give an extra man in midfield and from then on we never threatened apart from 2 Duffy crosses near the end.

With Leonard Evans and now Holmes we have more options to change personnel but changing formation during a game needs to happen more often as well. Parking the bus will be a feature of all the teams coming to the Lane now and we need to adapt to deal with this. Coutts was not the fastest player but over 5 to 10 yards he could go past players. Lundstram showed signs against Derby he could do this but last night took the easy option too often.

The pigs were so deep last night they were nearly sat with me on the Kop. Basham and Oconnell hardly ever got behind them and both wing backs were off their game making for a disappointing but typical Derby game. Been saying all season we need to move the ball forward quicker but in all fairness when the opposition have 2/3rds of the team in their own half every time you have the ball that makes it difficult.
    That about sums it up and I agree against a more adventurous Derby Lundstrum was good. We have good options now so there is no excuse not to change things. I thought Stevens was poor last night and maybe it’s time to give Lafferty another chance ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Blade for Life View Post
    That about sums it up and I agree against a more adventurous Derby Lundstrum was good. We have good options now so there is no excuse not to change things. I thought Stevens was poor last night and maybe it’s time to give Lafferty another chance ?.
    Stevens been poor for a couple of months. Time to get a prem loan in that department?