+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear Darren Ferguson

He’s apologised and said it was tongue in cheek.

I’m sure there are actually some out there who thought differently

Charged with bringing the game into disrepute.
    I'd argue that he did the opposite of this. Most football fans probably agreed with what he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42725134

Quote Originally Posted by dantpen View Post
    Charged with bringing the game into disrepute.
    I'd argue that he did the opposite of this. Most football fans probably agreed with what he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42725134
    A lot of this is down to radio De Da they never stopped going on about it, its time all non Sheffield clubs told them to Feck off.

No no no

Sorry, but this is a professional manager, well paid, having a go at a referee.

Yes we all know refs aren't the best, but they are generally, honest.

The match squad that managers put out are, mostly, cheats who try their best to get free kicks / penalties / other players carded etc.

They try to con the referees at every opportunity.

Well the players are professionals, full time, as is the manager. Do they never make mistakes ?

Looking at the dross in this years third division, are they that much better than the semi-pros in the National League ?

So. making refs full-time pros, would that make them so much better ?

Look at yourself Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by PerigordMiller View Post
    No no no

Sorry, but this is a professional manager, well paid, having a go at a referee.

Yes we all know refs aren't the best, but they are generally, honest.

The match squad that managers put out are, mostly, cheats who try their best to get free kicks / penalties / other players carded etc.

They try to con the referees at every opportunity.

Well the players are professionals, full time, as is the manager. Do they never make mistakes ?

Looking at the dross in this years third division, are they that much better than the semi-pros in the National League ?

So. making refs full-time pros, would that make them so much better ?

Look at yourself Ferguson
    I agree.

If you want to see cheating at its “best” then replay tonight’s Chelsea game. A strong ref but it’s a pity Chelsea went through eventually.

Ferguson fined £1,000 for his comments about the referee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    Ferguson fined £1,000 for his comments about the referee.
    What a paltry amount. That wouldn't even get us a centre forward

Understandable really seeing that it was true what he said apart from the shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    What a paltry amount. That wouldn't even get us a centre forward
    It is because the football authorities want this story to die. They don't want a debate on how bad refs really are. The game is awash with money but we still have part time refs.

It’s an interesting one this. For as long as I can remember, there have been complaints about the standard of refereeing. Are things really worse now than they were, say, 10 years ago? I bet this board had just as many complaints about poor refereeing in 2008. And was that really any worse than in 1998…or 1988? (complaint-level wise).

Would paying full-time refs mega bucks make things much better? ....or just increase the noise level of the complaints, which would then probably be about “overpaid jokers pinching money!”

Some say VAR is the answer, but is complete sanitisation of the game really what we want? How many times has a plodding game been brought to life by a chronically bad refereeing decision that wakes up and incenses a dozing crowd and fuels the tempo of the game? Do we really want stop-start, VAR scrutinising, boring drawn out games in pursuit of 100% correct decisions?

Isn’t “human error” part and parcel of everyday life, including refereeing? And don’t we always home in on the negatives and forget the positives? We have witnessed good refereeing displays this season but these tend to be trampled underfoot in the clamour to condemn the poor refs.

I’m not saying that we shouldn’t strive to improve refereeing, but we should be careful what we wish for.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast