+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not greedy

I'm not greedy

This season was all about re grouping , consolidation and most importantly not suffering back to back relegations.

For me Warne had a big task accepting that this season was HIS responsibility to show change and progression.

Where we are now is a good reflection for Warne and how he's conducted business and shown progression. This is his season and he knows that failure will see him removed.

Let's be patient and not greedy. I for one would be okay if we were not to be promoted as I feel we are no way near ready or have the players to sustain Championship status and we would suffer another humiliation of relegation.

Keep the spirits up Mr Warne we are right behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    This season was all about re grouping , consolidation and most importantly not suffering back to back relegations.

For me Warne had a big task accepting that this season was HIS responsibility to show change and progression.

Where we are now is a good reflection for Warne and how he's conducted business and shown progression. This is his season and he knows that failure will see him removed.

Let's be patient and not greedy. I for one would be okay if we were not to be promoted as I feel we are no way near ready or have the players to sustain Championship status and we would suffer another humiliation of relegation.

My god a sensible post at last , well said !!. The ammount of fans who want us to have a plan and throw cash at a impossible dream is sickening. With 12 thousand fans every week how can a club our size sustain Championship football?, where do we go if we last a few seasons up there ?. Burton are similar to us and will come back down and yo yo. It's fun enjoy the ride

To be honest with you brin I think as a team and as a club we are better than we were when we went into championship.

The reason I say we are better now is we aren’t relying on the loan market to make our squad up like we used too.

The only loan issue now is the keeper and RB

However if you remember back when we went up and after we went up half our first team squad was loans and for me it felt like we borrowing a football team and slapping a RUFC badge on it.

Clearly Wiagn and Blackburn didn't think that way.

Quote Originally Posted by millermanic View Post
    Clearly Wiagn and Blackburn didn't think that way.

Look at what the Wigan and Blackburn boards have in monetary reserves as opposed to Tony Stewart and they are streets ahead.

May be this is more appropriate on this thread than the end of a era one (mod please remove it from the end of era thread)

I suppose the question should be is the club / team in a better place now than it was then? Have we made any progress on and off the field.

I for one don't think the team is any stronger now as it was then (defo weaker imo) and unsure if the chairman as the same ambition / desire / determination / willingness to splash the cash as he did back then. I know the training facilities have had a upgrade but in my opinion it's all about what happens on the pitch. If the team is successful the rest will follow. However I appreciate its a fine line.

People say it would be a disaster if we went straight back up this year but I don't think football works like that. You cannot plan a promotion season as it can as easily go in the opposite direction. All you can do is try and improve the team to be better than it was and hopefully win football matches. If that leads to the team being in and around promotion / playoff spots imo you have to try and take that opportunity when it arises.

So will we go for it or just simply accept our fate, I suppose we will all have differing opinions on this after the transfer window closes. But at some point we have to try and unearth players who too good for L1 and can easily hold their own in the league above. I know these players cost money but do the really have too, take Kiefer Moore has a example if we had been a little brave and offered Ipswich a little more at the beginning of the season, may be just may be we could of been offloading him for a tidy profit further on down the line.

I also think the stalled guest and crime project has / is having a big impact on our progression as the anticipated revenue just isn't there.

Some good points, Kev. The players want us to go up. The fans (including me, but excluding a few eccentric Millersmadsters) want us to go up. Burton have managed to make a go of it. The extra sponsorship and tv money, if used to strengthen the team, and the prospect of attracting better players at all levels of the club, means that relegation is not inevitable (see Burton). Last season was a lesson of how NOT survive in the Championship (Thanks a lot Stubbsy, Dexter, etc)

Look at what the Wigan and Blackburn boards have in monetary reserves as opposed to Tony Stewart and they are streets ahead.
    If TS does not have the means why not try to attract investors? don't tell me no one would be interested........ Bransley!

Stewart is never going to have (or make available) the resource to be able to compete at the next level. In fact, I think what we are seeing at the moment should really question if he still has the desire to be in charge at this level.

The usuals on here will respond with the fears of administration and hard coded gratitude to the man who built the new stadium (by taking out a bank loan) but......Stewart should put the club up for sale and invite offers....he won’t because he’s too pigheaded but the time will come as the attendance drops. Football is an entertainment business. Remember we once attracted the likes of Arnason, Dicko and Freks......now we have the likes of Yates and Smith.

Don’t forget Towell is on loan too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast