+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nicely placed.

Nicely placed.

After comfortably beating Shrewsbury, as we should along with any other side in this league, all is going OK.

We need to win the title though and overthrow Wigan, as that confidence will carry on through into next season, and a push for getting back to the league we truly belong, the premier.

That is all..

Let's do one season at a time, Saxo! As we've seen already, this Division isn't just about one tactic. Teams are going to pile their defences up even more now, and we aren't always going to score three.
    We probably are better-suited to playing the stronger teams, because they are less likely to get ten behind the ball.
    Mowbray seems pretty good at plotting a course. Very few people predicted that he would use Bennett as a second "holding" midfielder. It worked very well, so TM's ongoing critics have gone eerily quiet. If we'd drawn or lost, the result would all have been down to the decision to use Bennett in that role instead of one of the youngsters!

A fantastic result and if Shrewsbury lose to West ham in the replay I can see them slip away
    Confidence is everything in football
    15 league games unbeaten
    No defeats with downing at the back
    We are looking a very dangerous team to play and for the first time in many years a pleasure to watch.

I’m sorry to disagree with Sax, but: ‘where we truly belong’???
    It’s that sort of thinking that has brought us to where we are and with that the demise of the attendances.
    I’m with Champs on this, but admittedly coloured by my lifetimes watching of the blues, where for me we are a Championship club. As are Burnley, but presently deservingly holding their spot in the Premier. Yes it will falter at some point and they will drop back , but that is just how it should be.
    No club has a god given right to sit in the top league.
    Will we ever return there? I have no idea.
    Do we need to return there? Financially - yes.
    Would I welcome it ? No not really (but I’m not carrying the debt).

Just my personal opinion, as always.

Despair- that takes me back to one of my old hobby-horses: does the PL, in its present form, make sense? I know you get the occasional Leicester to break the pattern, but - realistically - only six teams are competing for the title. A European super-league would be much more logical for those clubs. It would also make the PL genuinely competitive again.
    I know all about the financial implications, and I'm not suggesting it's entirely realistic, but it would be much better from a football perspective. It seems daft to me that about 12 teams are essentially battling to avoid relegation every season.

You know when you're on the up when the "Turncoat" returns. Despair is 100% spot on with his last post,i fully agree. I am no fan of the prem,but will take it while it lasts. Hope you all had a wager when i said you would win the title when you were mid table. Good look guys !

Quote Originally Posted by Turfmoorspirit View Post
    You know when you're on the up when the "Turncoat" returns. Despair is 100% spot on with his last post,i fully agree. I am no fan of the prem,but will take it while it lasts. Hope you all had a wager when i said you would win the title when you were mid table. Good look guys !
    TMS - I tend to be optimistic when things look bad, and pessimistic when it appears that we've turned the corner.
    Look - don't get me wrong: I'd be delighted, in one sense, if we could get back to the PL, but the Championship is probably our "natural" home. Having said that, I wonder how many teams in the bottom ten of the PL are significantly better than the top six of the Championship. As a Claret, you are probably in a good position to know the answer, from your experience this season. I suspect that a League formed from the 14 clubs below Arsenal and the top six or eight of the C. would produce a much more balanced and interesting set of matches than the current format.

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    TMS - I tend to be optimistic when things look bad, and pessimistic when it appears that we've turned the corner.
    Look - don't get me wrong: I'd be delighted, in one sense, if we could get back to the PL, but the Championship is probably our "natural" home. Having said that, I wonder how many teams in the bottom ten of the PL are significantly better than the top six of the Championship. As a Claret, you are probably in a good position to know the answer, from your experience this season. I suspect that a League formed from the 14 clubs below Arsenal and the top six or eight of the C. would produce a much more balanced and interesting set of matches than the current format.
    Silly thread time again I see!! I know lets start getting really ahead of ourselves again after seeing our club get ripped apart!
    Its been really good on here this season, as we have just stuck to football - on the pitch. Match reports, no real opinions, just facts. As its been a very tite nit group (Sorry Alf, I apologise I missed you off our regulars the other day, I didn't mean to!! You are very much part of this site)
    We haven't been doing this kind of thing for ages, so while its good to see a return of an old poster, if your looking for bites etc you will always be better off goading Burnley fans on their site, than goading your own. AS it's me, Aucks (who will always be balanced) Robin (exactly the same) Alf (who knows his stuff and always gets our results correct) ....sometimes Despair and Ghosty. I just don't think you will get what you want out of this place anymore. This is soley for people who like Rovers, want to see us do well, and have the occasional chats about the formations etc. Its changed here now, its more about football, than hearsay, telling us what you'd do etc .....

In the modern game, where ONLY money talks and nothing else, we have only been in that league once. Heavily banrolled. At a time when hardly any other club had any money. Timing helped. Now things are different. Without Walkers money we flirted with promotion, but never made it? So our rightful place?? History says that is the Champ. Lets get there first. Then see what happens. TM is not only building a side to get up, he is building one to stay up, and compete. Any other talk frankly is ridiculous. And unhelpful.

In the last 25 years, which league have we spent most time in? The premier, where we belong.

Irrelevant ..... we are Div 1 rite now. But pretty much debt free. When was the last time anyone mentioned the Chicken fkers?? Funny that ain't it .....barley a mention.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)