+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Player Ratings - Crewe at Home

Player Ratings - Crewe at Home

Apologies for my tardiness - it's been a busy old day in the colonies.

Some might say it was a game of two halves, Saint – but not me. I reckon it was close to premium grade garbage all of the way through. That being said, we were solid enough to keep a clean sheet and despite not being at our best – found a way to win. In his pre-match interview, the manager said he’d done his homework on Crewe and would prepare accordingly, however our players looked leggy and tired (despite having a week off) and we were easily over run in midfield. Thankfully however, Crewe were not good enough in the final third to take advantage of this – or our defence was too solid to let them – take your pick.

Our tactics in the first half mystified me. We’d swarmed all over Crewe at Gresty Road by pushing Lambe forward and taking advantage of Raynes’ weakness on the deck. However today, the tactic was to pump long balls up towards the head of Cosgrove, playing directly to Raynes’ strengths with Lambe swamped and bullied out of the game deep in midfield. It was like the five goal victory had never happened, we certainly hadn’t learned the lessons from it.

It’s typical with Curle to get it wrong tactically from the outset but then to try and make tactical changes to bring us more into the game – and today it worked. Freshening up the right flank with O’Sullivan and bringing the strength of Joyce into midfield gave us more of a foothold in the game, brought more confidence and fluidity to Jones and Devitt and ultimately brought us the win…

Bonham – 6 – Another solid display from the Boy Blunder, although not having a lot to do, his actual keeping was what you’d expect from a professional goalkeeper, so a continued improvement. His distribution was still embarrassing at times, however he commanded his box quite well. Did well to stay awake and make a decent save at the end of the game – but he was given fantastic protection all game.

Brown – 4 – Didn’t do a whole lot wrong defensively but his use of the football was not up to his usual standards today. Too many sloppy passes and aimless punts, some poor dribbling and dubious decision making. Maybe a victim of his previous good form, maybe left hopelessly exposed by himself on the righ flank.

Liddle – 6 – Despite vanishing into thin air like the old Liddle, when Crewe hit the post early doors, a very decent defensive performance again. Some really telling interceptions, blocks and headers – and I’ll give him an extra mark for finally stopping his horrible long punting.

Hill – 6 – Nothing out of the ordinary, but solid reliable, no nonsense defending from Mr Average. It shows how poor our central defence has been for the last however many years when such a thoroughly ordinary defender has brought such a marked improvement.

Parkes – 7* - Outstanding defensively and showed the awareness and technique to create the match winning opportunity. Watching the defence carefully today it was actually Parkes who was organising affairs, not Hill. Despite a moment of quick testicle tennis with Danny Grainger which almost cost us a goal he was still head and shoulders the best player on the pitch today – and there’s definitely a player here. Obviously his fitness levels, concentration and consistency need to improve but performances like this will do nobody any harm whatsoever.

Grainger – 6 – I’m surprising myself here, but I don’t actually think Grainger was that bad today. Certainly defensively he didn’t do too badly, didn’t make too many howlers (despite his friendly moment with Parkes) and actually looked like a decent left-back. Maybe because the rest of the team looked so leggy, Grainger didn’t look that stiff, I’m not sure…

Jones – 5 – Shocker of a first half. Almost like he’d never kicked a football before in his career, Crewe were swarming all over him, if he were a boxer you’d have stopped the fight. However when Joyce came on he was a man transformed. Still fluffed his control a few times but transformed from a dwarf to a giant and was running affairs, some magnificent passing and top notch defensive work. It is *****ly important we have another competent midfielder alongside him.

Devitt – 4 – Utterly toothless for long periods of the game and his first half performance was a long way short of acceptable on any level. Improved after the break when we actually started to play a little football, but in a battle Devitt’s not your man. More of the broken record from me, he’s a winger playing in midfield, when he comes up against actual midfielders he’s always on to a loser. He needs to be on the ball in the final third of the pitch – when Joyce arrived on the pitch it allowed him licence to express himself more.

Lambe – 3 – Pathetically lightweight. He needs to be able to ride those tackles and make better decisions. In fairness, he looks exhausted and I really don’t believe the system we play and the role we ask him to perform plays to his strengths. Like Devitt, we need to find a way to get him on the ball in the final third.

Hope – 3 – The love affair with Hope continues and today was typical Hope. In fairness to him, he doesn’t look like a bad player when keeps it simple. His quick turn of pace can get him on the ball and when he doesn’t try to think it works ok. Get on the ball, pass it to a blue shirt, easy now. The difficulty comes when tries to use his brain, I have no idea what’s happening in the brain of Hallam Hope and neither do his feet. Point him towards the goal and it’s game over for everyone.

Cosgrove – 6 – Extremely raw, but the potential is clearly there. He’s almost like a very young Peter Crouch and in fairness, can direct the headers he wins towards Carlisle players, which is a novelty. Some of his passing is a bit obvious and lacking guile, but he has a decent shot on him and causes problems for the opposition with his awkwardness. Was unfortunate with the offside goal, forced an excellent save from the Crewe keeper and took his opportunity with great maturity. I can’t mark him higher than a six as his use of the football (on occasion) was schoolboy but he’s already shown more intelligence than Hope in a fraction of time.

Subs

O’Sullivan – 5 – Welcome to 2017/18 John, it’s nice to have you back. Did we bring him back too early or has he finally decided to come to the party? Whatever, it was refreshing to see him with a little bit of actual presence on the right hand side. This is the performance we should’ve had two months ago.

Joyce – 6 – Restored balance to the team and much needed strength to the heart of midfield. Needs to start with Jones in central midfield asap.

Bennett – 5 – Looks a natural partner to Cosgrove, actually read and got on the end on some of his headers. Working in tandem with another big striker caused Crewe no end of problems at the back. I wonder what it would take to see Bennett and Cosgrove start together?

Crewe flattered to deceive; they were OK in midfield but they didn't have to be any better than OK to create chances against us early on. Our lot looked like they were still in bed. In fact they looked like they were getting ready for bed with their jimjams on and a cup of Horlicks. Second half was better but only enough to get slightly on top and score the only goal. Credit to Cosgrove whose save at the death kept us the points. O'Sullivan played right in front of me and once he'd got his usual opening howler out of the way he settled down to some useful contributions. His inter-passing is good but some of his crosses were poor. Joyce was so much better than the rest that he stood out and Crewe had no answer to him. Overall though Crewe will be lucky to stay out of the bottom 6 this season because thet are one-dimensional and most sides will beat them once they work them out.

Cosgrove's save at the death?

If you watch the go-pro footage the save is really nothing special...

It looked good from the Paddock

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)