+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning New Languages

Learning New Languages

Anyone ever self taught themselves a new language?

If so any tips on decent ways to do it. I have been trying to learn German for the past month as I have heaps of free time at home and at work. I found a website (duolingo). Its definitely made my reading come on leaps and bounds but I need to learn to speak it,

Amazing the similarities to English

Any ideas on books. Like Rossetta Stone or fitever or anything that would help?

Danke fur die hilfe

The Rosetta Stone thing didn't work for me, you need proper interaction in my opinion. My wife and her brother picked up Spanish in no time from watching tv in Argentina and hanging out with locals. Not one class between them and both now fluent. I know a couple that picked it up the same way in Spain.

Probably no help.

Can't help much either but I will be keeping an eye on your thread as I have wanted to start learning Spanish for a year or two now. I also would like to improve on the German I learned at school.

My favourite German word is their Ambulance - krankenwagon.

'You're going home in a f*ckin krankenwagon!'

I did French and have not set foot in France since barring connecting flights at CDG. The closest I have got to France in terms of language was Algeria with work and Geneva in December.

Wish I took German now.

I plan to be as good as fluent by the time I go to Germany for my East German tour in November

Oh aye and my favourite German word is the STD sounding "Knoblauch". Which is not pus coming out your pee hole, but in fact garlic

The Michel Thomas German classes are pretty good. He taught himself the language while being slapped about by the gestapo

I went out with a girl called Dagmar once, that helped.

She's probably a bit old for you, although the general principle would still apply.

Might have to make a "schone frau" fall in love with me in Dusseldorf. Then I can learn from her. Then kick her to the kerb when I'm properly up and running with the "doytch"

I tried learning Spanish really struggled with it maybe because I can't speak English .

But my wife's speaks Spanish very well as she loves the language .

I can still remember a bit of Latin. Not that it's ever been useful but it was an easy exam to get an A in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast