+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Learning New Languages

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The Michel Thomas German classes are pretty good. He taught himself the language while being slapped about by the gestapo
    The ex footballer?

As mentioned already, you need to immerse yourself in it. Took me a few years of living in NL before getting fluent. Even then, it was mostly down to my in-laws helping me practise; every foreigner here bemoans the dutchies' insistence on speaking english to them when they're trying to practise in the shop or pub or fitiver.

I've been learning swedish & norwegian for a couple of years now but it's only reading/writing. Could barely order a pint withoot resorting to english. Maybe the uni or international students organise some event/language cafe open to the public?

C'mon min

Language has got nithing tae dae wi it.

No way you are parting with cash for beer in Norway or Sweden

duolingo app

Quote Originally Posted by leontrotsky View Post
    duolingo app
    Duolingo is what im using online. Its good

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    Duolingo is what im using online. Its good
    Tak

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The Michel Thomas German classes are pretty good. He taught himself the language while being slapped about by the gestapo
    Aye the wife thinks he's amazing he also has Spanish CDs .
    I think he spoke about 7 languages fluently . sure he passed away some years back but his voice lives on.

Here's a bit of what Michel Thomas was about .

http://www.michelthomas.com/how-it-works.php

Just a tip for picking up words and phrases if learning a new language. If you've got some of your favourite movies/TV shows on DVD then change the language or subtitles or both on the menu at the beginning.

Ok word for word there is slight variations, but you would be surprised at how much you could pick up. It's not that enjoyable for some folk watching a whole movie in French or Spanish , but whatever language you want to learn it's another method that can help. Even watching it in English with foreign subtitles. Find some good radio stations as well , loads online you can tune into and hearing natives speaking on the radio is great

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12