+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Need 4 wheels back on the wagon...

Need 4 wheels back on the wagon...

We did unbelievably well to get where we did with the first team out, but lose Heaton, Lowton, Ward, Brady, Wood plus Tarko for three games, and we were always going to lose momentum. Sean can work miracles, but imo, keeping his current best eleven on the shirt tails of the top 6 is beyond even him.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    We did unbelievably well to get where we did with the first team out, but lose Heaton, Lowton, Ward, Brady, Wood plus Tarko for three games, and we were always going to lose momentum. Sean can work miracles, but imo, keeping his current best eleven on the shirt tails of the top 6 is beyond even him.
    First time in 31 years I have agreed with you sinkov...

I know what I'm talking about BT, remember Tarko.

I don't think many people seriously thought we could challenge the top six, even when we were fourth.

Important that our season doesn't fizzle out, and that means two more signings I think.

The Brady injury has proved key, and the lads aren't looking as sharp and energetic as they were.

But the signings need to improve the first team with a view to the future, and now is an ideal time to get them bedded in before next season.

One bonus is that it's ended any possibility of us qualifying for the nightmare that is the Europa League. Unless we could have got kicked out early, like Everton, that would have got us relegated and no mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

first half of the season - with the small amount of goals we squeezed over the line - points came in from our defence/goal stopping them going over ours - so if defence is anything but rock solid and we can't sneak that goal - goes without saying - the points dry up, but as when the mostly miserable displays were forgiven due to us pulling in points....not so easy to overlook and becomes even more of an unbearable watch when we walk away with nothing.... .
    -
    Cheers BT.

"Need 4 wheels back on the wagon..."

Hope I'm wrong but I think we are going to be wheel less for a while, certainly if we don't venture into the transfer market with better players.

Aye we have had injuries with Brady/Wood, Tarkos suspension, but even with those players playing there have been some poor performances.

As Norder states above our defence has been the main stay of our game, with the knack of scoring suffering badly, 23 games played and scored 19, we have no punch, like boxing you can defend, block and swivel and occasionally strike out, but most of the time your opponent will work you out and probably knock you out.

A few weak links in our team, Bardsley ? why did we get an old banger when we have enough brass to buy brand new ? and talking about bringing players in, why was Hendrick purchased when he's playing badly in the position he's asked too ?

Maybe Wood apart, and Wells not proven yet, Vokes, Barnes and Walters don't worry teams much do they ?

Month's ago some were looking up the league to see who we could catch, now we are looking down at Leicester catching up with us, it needs changing soon.

Have to agree with Altobelli(as usual).Because of our lack of quality in the final third we rely on a rock solid defence and hope to sneak a winner at some stage in the match.However losing Ward and Lowton has exposed the defence and losing Brady has stunted the little bit of creativity we had from wide positions.Gudmonsson is doing his best but it is usually just not enough.Hendrick was useless on Saturday and I have said it before -he is not consistent enough for premier league standard.
    I cannot see any way but down from here but hopefully finish mid table which as Sean says is the target-an improvement on last year.

When you saw the quality of a couple of the goals from Anfield yesterday, it shows just how far short we really are.

Only Brady can get anywhere near the quality of four of those goals and he is bloody injured!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)