+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyrille Regis

He was just before my time so didn't see him play, but my Dad doesn't stop telling stories about he and Laurie Cunningham. I think he must have told me a thousand times about the 5-3 Man Utd game at Old Trafford...

Helped revolutionise the game in this country, the sentiment on here and on social media just show how respected he was and how sorely he will be missed. RIP big man, you'll always be a legend here.

Cyrille Regis was a football man like no other and I will always remember him for that goal at old trafford in that green & yellow wide striped albion shirt. I know he played for us, cov and wolves but when I think of albion icons, I think of him 1st.
    He played in a fabulous side along with the other 2 degrees (sadly only Brendan Batson O.B.E. remains) Bomber, Cantello, Statham, Wile and Robson. Our on pitch rivalry was really at full tilt during the late 70s early 80s but Regis was majestical and I, as a ****ager, was in awe of him.
    Really saddened by the news, I heard he found God after football, well I hope he finds solace with him today. Thoughts with those left behind.

What sad and upsetting news to wake up to this morning, I'm gutted.

My first Albion hero as a lad growing up, only recently, probably a couple of home games ago I saw him and Brendan striding towards the players tunnel in front of the Halfords, both of still them looking so trim and fit. Even then I was thinking, there he is, big Cyrille, what a legend.

He scored the first live goal I ever saw up the Albion versus Liverpool in 81'. That same year I was a ball boy at Dudley Town v Albion in a John Wile testimonial night match, whilst the game was under way there was obviously something going on over by the car park beneath one of the floodlight towers. I could just make out this figure being surrounded, i left my post and ran over, it was Cyrille Regis, in the flesh! All my Christmas's had come at once as I was literally three or four yards away from him. I couldn't get anywhere near him as the mob of kids got bigger and bigger but just being that close to him, staring agape was enough. I can still see him now, standing there statuesque in a big black Crombie looking down moodily signing programme after programme.

A couple of seasons ago i popped to the loo at half time, we were playing bad, I brushed past him and said "crikey Cyrille, get your boots on!" He smiled, gave me a knowing look and said "yeah I know"

Along with all the memories we have those are particularly precious to me now, I wished I'd have stopped to say more.

Rest in peace big fella, taken way, way too early.

There are some footballers who are respected throughout the football family because of the way they played and their modesty away from the game. Cyrille is definitely amongst that group. RIP big man, a gentle giant off the pitch but a monster on it.

Tragic, tragic news.

Great player, great man, I was lucky enough to have met him once and also someone who obviously loved playing the game and showed it.

RIP Big Cyrille, one of the best!

I was absolutely gutted when I heard the news this morning and it has really hit home as the day’s progressed.

Seems so tragic for Cyrille to have passed on at the same age (59) as another Albion legend, Jeff Astle, and I believe it’s six**** years to the week since we lost him too soon as well.

Never knowingly got to watch the King play as a youngster and I don’t really go overboard regarding sporting heroes; but as a lad Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham were two of mine.

They have left us in body but will remain in spirit for as long as they are remembered, and that will be for a long time to come.

Had the pleasure of watching them both play as a young lad when they were in their pomp, and in later years I had the honour of meeting Cyrille on several brief occasions.

Found him to be an absolute gent, coolness personified and extremely generous of his time with me.

Hopefully Cyrille and Laurie will play football together as they meet again and maybe, just maybe, if we’re lucky we’ll be able to catch a glimpse of them when it’s our turn to move on.

It’ll be a very emotional moment for me when I next sing The Lord’s My Shepherd.

RIP Cyrille Regis, Albion legend and sporting icon.

Thank you for the memories.

Very Sad, great ambassador for this club and a player I will never forget. Most powerful one we ever had. Wish he was about 25 and playing for us now. R.I.P Great man.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    I was absolutely gutted when I heard the news this morning and it has really hit home as the day’s progressed.

Seems so tragic for Cyrille to have passed on at the same age (59) as another Albion legend, Jeff Astle, and I believe it’s six**** years to the week since we lost him too soon as well.

Never knowingly got to watch the King play as a youngster and I don’t really go overboard regarding sporting heroes; but as a lad Cyrille Regis and Laurie Cunningham were two of mine.

They have left us in body but will remain in spirit for as long as they are remembered, and that will be for a long time to come.

Had the pleasure of watching them both play as a young lad when they were in their pomp, and in later years I had the honour of meeting Cyrille on several brief occasions.

Found him to be an absolute gent, coolness personified and extremely generous of his time with me.

Hopefully Cyrille and Laurie will play football together as they meet again and maybe, just maybe, if we’re lucky we’ll be able to catch a glimpse of them when it’s our turn to move on.

It’ll be a very emotional moment for me when I next sing The Lord’s My Shepherd.

RIP Cyrille Regis, Albion legend and sporting icon.

Thank you for the memories.
    Nice post 68... I posted this morning & I was genuinely shocked , but when I got home from work & put sky on all the clips + all the tributes really got to me & I found it hard to hold back the tears, loved the big fella , my heart felt condolences go out to his family
    God bless always big Cyrille reunited with Laurie .

Woke up to this tragic news this morning, i knew Cyrille well been out drinking and nightclubing with him. Met years later when he was a coach at the Albion and i was installing the intruder alarm and cctv in the Halfords and Rainbow stands, he remembered me from the old days. Great man,such a sad loss. Last time i saw and spoke to him was at the fanzone with Laurie's niece, our Reece had his photo with him.
    Football wise saw his debut,the great game at United and most of his Albion games and went to see his England debut at Wembley. Deserved many more caps.
    All this flapping about with the stature, shame he never got to see it.
    R.I.P Cyrille condolances to family and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledvillan View Post
    Cyrille Regis was a football man like no other and I will always remember him for that goal at old trafford in that green & yellow wide striped albion shirt. I know he played for us, cov and wolves but when I think of albion icons, I think of him 1st.
    He played in a fabulous side along with the other 2 degrees (sadly only Brendan Batson O.B.E. remains) Bomber, Cantello, Statham, Wile and Robson. Our on pitch rivalry was really at full tilt during the late 70s early 80s but Regis was majestical and I, as a ****ager, was in awe of him.
    Really saddened by the news, I heard he found God after football, well I hope he finds solace with him today. Thoughts with those left behind.
    Don't know from where my brain had pictured the green n yellow kit, just looked back and you were in Blue n White . Maybe I just associate him with that old kit.
    R.I.P. Cyrille.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)