+ Visit Sheffield United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Cyril Regis

R.I.P. Cyril.

A great footballer and it seems a universally well-liked and respected guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Rod Fern has passed away aged 69,ex Leicester(played in the 68 cup final v.Man City),Luton,Chezzy&Rovrum.He was a very good player in my view,he's been sufferin wi Alzhiemers these last few years.RIP Rod UTCB
    Another one to succumb to the terrible Alzheimer’s and dementia like my Mother in law who died on Monday.

I remember singing a song about Rod being Marty Feldman probably down to his big bushy sideburns and long hair. No doubt obout it he was an excellent forward and goal scorer, a real hero to Miller’s fans I knew back then.

R.I.P. Rod.

Pretty sure clyde best was a striker mahatma

Was shocked when I heard this I know racism was rife at the time but I wasn't really aware of his impact on people at the time. I just liked him cos I thought he was a good player

RIP big man

Quote Originally Posted by bulmer1889 View Post
    Pretty sure clyde best was a striker mahatma

Was shocked when I heard this I know racism was rife at the time but I wasn't really aware of his impact on people at the time. I just liked him cos I thought he was a good player

RIP big man
    Clyde Best was a striker Bully,late 60's /early 70's i think when he played for West Ham.Dion Dublin had a wobble before the live game on't Beeb last night when they were discussin big Cyrille,there's no doubt the fella left a big impression on those that knew him and those that saw him play. UTCB
    Last edited by rodcurrie; 18-01-2018 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post
    Another one to succumb to the terrible Alzheimer’s and dementia like my Mother in law who died on Monday.

I remember singing a song about Rod being Marty Feldman probably down to his big bushy sideburns and long hair. No doubt obout it he was an excellent forward and goal scorer, a real hero to Miller’s fans I knew back then.

R.I.P. Rod.
    Sorry to hear of your loss Gray,i know ya said it was only a matter of time but it's still very sad to lose family.RIP to your Mum in law.UTCB

Quote Originally Posted by rodcurrie View Post
    Clyde Best was a striker Bully,late 60's /early 70's i think when he played for West Ham.Dion Dublin had a wobble before the live game on't Beeb last night when they were discussin big Cyrille,there's no doubt the fella left a big impression on those that knew him and those that saw him play. UTCB
    Big Cyril certainly left an impression and I saw the Dion Dublin wobble last night and believe me it was no crocodile tears, totally genuine emotion for a great ambassador and pioneer.

I remember the Saint and Greavsie show on Saturdays and Greavsie always had a soft spot for big Cyril and his style of play,

It seemed back then that just because you were a focal figure for a particular club it wasn't an excuse to get too big for your boots and start demanding extortionate wages etc as it seemed that every club had a similar character.

Looking back I think it started to go wrong when we had the "Lure of the Lira" in the mid 80s with players like Rush going to Juve, Souness and Platt off to Samps in Serie A which also started to show other players the lavish lifestyles that could be had.

Quote Originally Posted by GrayBlade View Post

R.I.P. Rod.
    Sorry to hear your news GB, sincere condolences.

One of the first blacck players I can recall was the LUFC winger Albert Johansson, a South African winger , around the early 60's, who got awful stick from the sidelines and had a particularly vile song referring to his colour sung to him

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12