+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cup Week - hope over experience

Cup Week - hope over experience

Here we go again. Past performance at this stage does not offer much encouragement but we'll take to our seats fingers crossed.

A few memories of the last five campaigns at the link.

http://www.footymad.com/motherwell/n...50/index.shtml

For the game v Accies - replay/postponement date is Tuesday 30 January.

Hopefully Jwok we wont need replay/postponement date.IMO if we play football the right way ie keep the ball on the deck we will eat Accies.But If we get involved in a physical battle and let ourselves lose our control we will be facing another cup exit. We cannot let yourselves get caught up in the antics of Imrie etc otherwise we will not be focused on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by texaco cup View Post
    Hopefully Jwok we wont need replay/postponement date.IMO if we play football the right way ie keep the ball on the deck we will eat Accies.But If we get involved in a physical battle and let ourselves lose our control we will be facing another cup exit. We cannot let yourselves get caught up in the antics of Imrie etc otherwise we will not be focused on the game.
    Absolutely - we must not 'lose the rag'. There will be provocation, relentless disruptions, ages taken on throw - ins / goal-kicks, 'injuries' and all that sort of stuff. We need to rise above it and play our own game. We've got better players than Hamilton; we have to avoid a hoofball contest and make it count.

"We have better players than Hamilton".

Do we though? The only player we had who was better was Moult and he's gone. The likes of Docherty and McKinnon would walk into our midfield right now and improve it significantly in my opinion, as would Dougie Imrie.

Saturday will be a battle and if we are to come out on top we will have to find some of our early season character, roll up the sleeves and fight. The problem though is that as I say, their midfield is better than ours is and that is why we will be going no further in the Scottish Cup this year.

We'll have to mix it with Accies on Saturday and be prepared to battle. If we don't they'll walk all over us.

Don't agree about Mackinnon - he's a hatchetman pure and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post
    We'll have to mix it with Accies on Saturday and be prepared to battle. If we don't they'll walk all over us.

No doubting that but I'd love a hatchetman in our midfield right now, it's something we've not had for years. Obviously Lasley could mix it up a bit but we've not had a real destroyer in the middle able to get right in the faces of opponents for as long as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellup4it View Post

On last full season's published figures, Mackinnon had the second worst disciplinary record in the league. (Scott Brown 'beat' him). He was joined on the first page (top 25 offenders) by Devlin, Skondras, Imrie and Donati. Our only representative on the page was Scott McDonald(!). The stats 'prove' nothing, but suggest quite a lot. Some would say it's the players' 'passion and commitment'. I wouldn't be anything like as generous.

I'm not convinced either. I'm (desperately) looking to the last game for hope in that I doubt they can play much better, we surely cannot be much worse and in that match it wouldn't have been a big stretch for the result to be different.

Saturday will be a coin toss imho, largely down to if/how our new guys hit the ground running from our point of view.

Attitude, commitment and discipline with a bit of luck thrown in for good measure should enable us to see off the South Lanarkshire gippos!

Going no further.....REALLY

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)