+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ot - The Kohinoor Diamond

Ot - The Kohinoor Diamond

Now while I'm a royalist, I strongly disagree that the Kohinoor diamond should continue to be part of the Crown Jewels.
    It should be returned forthwith to India.

With an apology

Along with all the other stuff we have that should be in India, Pakistan, Egypt and god knows where else.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    Now while I'm a royalist, I strongly disagree that the Kohinoor diamond should continue to be part of the Crown Jewels.
    It should be returned forthwith to India.

With an apology
    who are you going to give it back to? Daft idea, it's claimed by about seven countries and many many factions, who's going to arbitrate on that?

It belongs to India

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Along with all the other stuff we have that should be in India, Pakistan, Egypt and god knows where else.
    I agree. Unless legally purchased with a Bill of sale

Dont be bloody ridiculous. It was paid as part of war reparations under the Treaty of Lahore. Next you will be wanting us to give back the money that Germany paid in war reparations re the first world war. Oh yes and we should apologise for slavery...

So the Brits go to India and treat them as slaves, they rebel and you force them to sign a treaty and seize their goods for waging war against your oppression.

Fine treaty

That was the way it was back then. I mean, they should be grateful we invaded their country and tried to turn it into GB with curry............ shouldn't they?

ROM: dont forget that we tried to give them christianity and in so doing, give them christmas carols. Surely Romany you must think thats a fair deal.

MA: we may have tried to convert them to GB with curry in the 1700-1800s, but the 1900 and 2000s belong to them as they have converted us into GB with curry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    So the Brits go to India and treat them as slaves, they rebel and you force them to sign a treaty and seize their goods for waging war against your oppression.

Fine treaty
    There'll never be agreement on the ethical side of things Romanis, but there are practical reasons for not 'handing back' the treasure trove we have, even as an act of largesse:

There's no clear evidence of who some antiquities belong to - Koh I Noor is a good example, and sorry to pull you up on your comment #4, it DOESN'T belong to India, they have confirmed as such

Repatriating antiquities in many cases would be virtual guarantee of them being lost, stolen, badly maintained or hidden away in a vault. The Elgin Marbles are a great example, Greece has a reasonable case for their return, but have you seen the ****-up the Greeks make of some of the antiquities they already have? Egypt the same I'm afraid, there are probably others
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 15-01-2018 at 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)