+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Money misspent

Money misspent

The two most frequent comments after the Swansea result are that the starting XI were all players from last year's Championship squad and that had we had a decent striker we would have won the game easily.

I think it's time to look at both critically. First, why weren't any of Rafa's purchases included in the starting XI: Lejeune, Merino, Murphy, Manquillo and Joselu? Did he think that the players he bought weren't good enough? Does he lack confidence in the players he bought? Or did he want to make a point to Ashley about the shortage of choices he had?

Second, if -as I've said many time before -we'd used the money spent on the players above to buy one or two quality players, particularly a good striker -we may have converted the chances we had and won this and several other games. We weren't forced to buy a £5m striker. If we hadn't bought Murphy, who's hardly a regular in the team- and Lejeune and Merino. we could have bought say a £20m striker. As I've said before, we should have bought quality not quantity. I know the argument about cover for injuries and competition for places but I think that part of the reason we buy so many squad players is Rafa's rotation policy. But there's no point in rotating a squad full of mediocrities. Some clubs stick to pretty much the same formation game after game. It would be interesting to compare their results with clubs that use the rotation policy.

I'm not an Ashley fan but even he must ask why a manager keeps asking for more players and then hardly uses them.

Another point: according to Jenas and a few other pundits, Newcastle is 'over-achieving.' Is it 'over-achieving' to fail to beat the bottom club at home and to lose at home to Bournemouth and Watford? If this is 'over-achieving' God help us if we under-achieve. Inco

I think it's really interesting that Rafa didn't use any of his summer purchases. Didn't think about it. Pretty much sums up that he believes the players we have are about the same quality as those brought in. OR, it could be that Rafa understands tactically how to set up to beat teams and he chose the side to do that. Unfortunately, we didn't have a striker to finish the chances.
    I also don't think the money for transfers works as a pot. I think Ashley signs off on them one by one and he's such an idiot that he'd rather sign 5 players worth 10 million each than 2 players worth 20 million each. Either way, you should change "Money misspent" to "Club miss-run"

I still maintain had Rafa been fully aware of his monetary situation we wouldn't have bought Murphy.

Had he know how Ashley would **** him that £12 million plus Joselu 5 would have gone on a striker. I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I still maintain had Rafa been fully aware of his monetary situation we wouldn't have bought Murphy.

Had he know how Ashley would **** him that £12 million plus Joselu 5 would have gone on a striker. I reckon.
    ^^^^ aye, this

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post

me too. Murphy was bought for the future. Rafa even said that at the time.

Rafa is working his trolleys off and in truth, so are the players.

The manager is a victim of broken promises and the players just aren't good enough - that's not their fault. they seem to be giving 100% but falling short at the top level.

People blaming Rafa and not the Fat Man is mind boggling.

was rafa that gullible that he thought he had enough money to buy players for the future ?
    12 million pound players at that

and occult is corrrect
    no manager can say they havent had enough players and lets face it some of those brought cheap have been sold for very big profits

it amazes me how some fans at times blame say pardew he pardewed players had no plan b his tactics were ****e
    yet then blame ash .

i would say every manager we have had under ash except maybe kk have had players brought some good some very good and some not so good

rafa is in charge of his own buying
    and i dont think e has brought a good player yet

and the players he does
    he doesnt play

i find it amazing half way through the window and rafa hasnt sold anyone to generate funds or sent anyone out on loan

he could let mistertrick colback and about 5 more he deosnt play or use and generate 20-30 mill there plus release wages
    which would buy you two decent players who you could play

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)