+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our attacking game

Our attacking game

Nothing in football can be blamed solely on bad luck. And to a certain extent I won't. But our attacking game isn't that bad against teams that could be considered to be our peers at the moment (Swansea, Stoke, West Brom, etc.). I think the service, over the course of 90 mins, has been there lately for a good striker to bag a few more goals than what is the current case. Unfortunately, we don't have that striker which means we aren't winning a lot of games - but it's only the last link that is truly missing IMO.

Defensively we look pretty sharp and tight to me which is down to Rafa - it is his specialty after all. When we go forward - which is the definite weakness of this team - we still manage to produce chances, even very big chances.

Either Gayle has been unlucky not to hit the frame, or we have been unlucky that we weren't capable of getting a striker worth 10-15 mil rather than a 5mil hit-or-miss striker and an essentially Chimpo level striker. Here, Rafa deserves criticism for not playing our Serbian International striker when Gayle and Joselu have had goalless runs (which is all the time) - regardless of whether or not he "trusts" him.

I actually agree completely. I know that Mitro can be a hot head and a lot happens behind closed doors but based only on Serbia's World Cup qualifiers, Mitro deserves a run of games. Combine that with the form of our other 2 strikers and it's a no-brainer for me. I think he offers better hold up play and has better finishing than our other options and considering our other attacking players, it would actually fit quite nicely. He'll more than likely be sold but if I had one criticism for Rafa, it would be how the Mitro situation has played out.

Mitro is sh it,sorry but true...

The badge kissing Mitro is gash man

I don’t think he will play another game for us but can’t see any mugs stepping in to buy him either

I agree with you completely apart from the Mitro bit.

I do think that we're actually set up attacking wise, ok against the teams we need to beat we just lack a clinical striker.

Some of the crosses that Murphy has put in, they are begging for someone who knows how to score.

The window hasn't closed yet, a few are sniffing around apparently. Hes like marmite, mitro, and I don't hate it, but I'm not the manager. Its like the Gordon Lee and Supermac situation, crowd hero, who the manager, doesnt rate, doesnt like etc and we know what happened there, Gowling, Nulty, Oates. He wasn't good enough for Newcastle but good enough for arsenal, yeah right.Im not saying Mitro is held with the same affection as Supermac, but at the end of the day its the managers decision,end of,even if I don't like it.

We don't have an attacking game FFS.
    If it wasn't for bad luck we'd have no luck at all. It's time to try something new up front, don't care who is up there at the moment, fu*k, I'd even put Merino in there and see what happens. (Not against Man C. though, obviously) Sick of the same old clueless faces there every fu*kin' game. Rafa hasn't got much to play with up front but he should be shuffling his pack more than he does.

Were playing with a set of players that are basically championship footballers .we started the season with Rafa being promised money and players then getting stuffed up the arse by ashley.rafa has now got to play in the big league with the players he has .Some of those players are a liability so it makes it even harder .He likes to rotate the squad and there's nothing wrong with that tbh.Under any other manager with this squad we imo would be more or less gone by now .We've just taken 8 ponts from 15 and it could have been 10 or 11.forget about mitro he is finished at the toon .we have what we have .If Rafa wants to play the games as he is doing I'm fully behind him .Season objective at the start was to stay in the premiership and we are still on course for that .If it has to be ugly I don't mind I'd rather be in the premiership than the championship

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)