+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ten most iconic post war English footballers.

And not one of you mention the great bomber brown,shame on you all

Quote Originally Posted by WBA53 View Post
    And not one of you mention the great bomber brown,shame on you all
    That's a good point 53. In the wider context which the original post was about, I'd say Bomber shouldn't make the list as many of those on the list reached way beyond their respective supporters. Its very subjective and as Albion fans, he certainly is iconic. Shearer isn't on the list neither is Dalglish but if you asked Liverpool or Newcastle fans this question, they certainly would be.

Dalglish was Scottish. Bomber was iconic for us but not nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Hang on Chris, I think we may be at cross purposes.

Holmleigh: a. “Keegan, Gascoine & Lineker all great players but not iconic (in your opinion Chris), b. well not to make the 10”.

Albionic68: a. “There are many ways of defining iconic status and I'm not saying I'd exclude any from your original list. b. But perhaps limiting it to ten was a bit restrictive”.

Holmleigh: “Does playing abroad strengthen or diminish their standings?”

Albionic68: As stated above there are many ways of defining iconic status. Steve Bull for instance is an icon for some and I can appreciate why, but just not for me. I would suggest Keegan and Laurie broadened their appeal to a wider audience by plying their trade abroad. Cyrille did not, but he is clearly a footballing icon (in our shared opinion). Greaves may be an icon to you, but given his short career perhaps not to the average AC Milan supporter; swings and roundabouts.

I highlighted in my OP that Keegan was one of the main men around when I were a lad. You discounted Keegan from your reckoning regarding your own top ten. We agree it’s all about opinion and as Des’ suggests it’s a great topic for the pub, just as it is for a football forum.
    As a 10 year old Keegan was my first football hero in 1971 so I do feel he warrants a place.

I also ended up with a perm.

Possibly this detracts from his merits.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Dalglish was Scottish. Bomber was iconic for us but not nationally.
    Sorry I never realised Dalglish was Scottish🙄

OK. I did really😀 I must have paid a lack of attention to the thread title

The trouble with Bomber was he never had any stand out traits. Hardly ever celebrated a goal, seemed very shy and modest.
    You can't think of any stand out funny things Bomber did.
    All he ever did was play for us for twenty years, score loads and loads of goals and broke every record at the club.

The bottom line is that if you asked a hundred people the question very few of that one hundred would pick the same ten. As many of you have stated, it's all a matter of opinion. What would be interesting is that if you did ask one hundred people you could then count the number of votes and show a top ten from those votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    The bottom line is that if you asked a hundred people the question very few of that one hundred would pick the same ten. As many of you have stated, it's all a matter of opinion. What would be interesting is that if you did ask one hundred people you could then count the number of votes and show a top ten from those votes.
    If everyone on here picked a ten that would be a decent reflection. There would have to be a limit of one Albion player though.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    The trouble with Bomber was he never had any stand out traits. Hardly ever celebrated a goal, seemed very shy and modest.
    You can't think of any stand out funny things Bomber did.
    All he ever did was play for us for twenty years, score loads and loads of goals and broke every record at the club.
    Any baggies fan who thinks that is not 'iconic' want's there feckin heads looking at....

Quote Originally Posted by goodlordmurphy View Post
    Any baggies fan who thinks that is not 'iconic' want's there feckin heads looking at....
    For Albion fans undoubtedly but like 55 says not nationwide. Ian Callaghan at Liverpool would be in the same category.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)