+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The world today.

The world today.

My mom worked until she was in her 70's. She was an intelligent woman and for many years was the only woman in key accounts at Sankeys, being responsible for millions of pounds.
    When she finally retired she had a little car and kept herself active.
    About seven years ago she had a severe stroke and is now in a nursing home. Although her mind is still active she only has the use of her left arm. She has to be washed and dressed and put onto a commode.
    The staff there are overworked and underpaid but work hard and are cheerful.
    Her day consists of either sitting in a chair or lying in bed. Her eyes are failing so she can no longer read. Every April the cost of keeping her in the care home rises, usually about seven or eight quid a week to meet inflation, i have no problem with that.
    Last month new owners took over and i received a letter.

Due to the RISE IN THE MINIMUM WAGE, residents are required to pay a top up of FIFTY POUNDS PER WEEK.

That sentence alone told me everything about the owners, those who work for them and the world in general.

Hell, i can remember when WBA was a football club and not a profit making organisation.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    My mom worked until she was in her 70's. She was an intelligent woman and for many years was the only woman in key accounts at Sankeys, being responsible for millions of pounds.
    When she finally retired she had a little car and kept herself active.
    About seven years ago she had a severe stroke and is now in a nursing home. Although her mind is still active she only has the use of her left arm. She has to be washed and dressed and put onto a commode.
    The staff there are overworked and underpaid but work hard and are cheerful.
    Her day consists of either sitting in a chair or lying in bed. Her eyes are failing so she can no longer read. Every April the cost of keeping her in the care home rises, usually about seven or eight quid a week to meet inflation, i have no problem with that.
    Last month new owners took over and i received a letter.

Due to the RISE IN THE MINIMUM WAGE, residents are required to pay a top up of FIFTY POUNDS PER WEEK.

That sentence alone told me everything about the owners, those who work for them and the world in general.

Hell, i can remember when WBA was a football club and not a profit making organisation.
    Money has no conscience 55, Sorry to hear about your mum. Difficult situation.

I hear you Des.

Mother and father in law had to go into care a year ago due to her severe Parkinson's and his severe dementia.

Being in care saw off the old dear after nine months.

Father in laws care costs keep rising.

They were careful and saved all their lives,they never had a mortgage,they saved for years until they could afford to pay for their house for cash.

First question asked when they were both taken into hospital by social services was......"do they own their own house?

After they'd entered the home of around 40 people my wife was told they were two of only four people paying for their own care!!

My wife is a bit older than me st 61 and she's already made the decision that she's taking herself off to Switzerland if she's diagnosed with early onset dementia as it's rife in her family and nothing will sway her on this.

I'm not so brave.......some poor sod is going to be wiping my a r s e at some point!

All the best to your mum Des.

Yes I can certainly sympathise with the situation.
    Father in law – worked until 70, in his own business, posh house, nice cars and saved a few quid.
    Lasted almost 8 years in a dementia care home at £1500/week ( Elderly Mental Impaired ) – initially funded by us and forced to sell his house.
    Poor bloke thought he would be leaving about £600k to my wife , ended up with less than 2K ! AND she had to fight to get the money back we had paid up front initially. And had to make quick sale on house and lost out there as well.
    So much for the golden generation ….
    Makes me want to think about selling the house when I retire , live in a top luxury hotel somewhere nice and sunny until the cash runs out, then apply for social housing when I’m kicked out and on the streets.

Des, I expect that your Mum paid into the NHS, like most of us who have paid our taxes have, and when some who have been dealt a bad hand need care in old age, suddenly extra payment is demanded. It is outrageous! The most amazing aspect of this is why there are no massive street demonstrations in protest. It seems that the super wealthy are allowed to have their offshore trusts to avoid paying their taxes whilst those in real need receive demands to pay more.

The latest update on this is, on Tuesday i had the day off and went to the Civic centre with the letter.
    They said it wasn't legit and my contract was with them, the council.
    They are investigating the home to see how many other people received letters asking for more money.

I won't tell you who the owners of the home are, you can probably guess.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)