+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: It all happens....

It all happens....

....when I'm away.

Back from holidays abroad and I've missed 5 games, 3 wins and 2 draws, I'm obviously a jinx when I go to the matches.

However, well done Mr Warne on this upturn of results, but to be completely fair with the exclusion of Blackburn the opposition hasn't been top quality, the next 2 games will be a better measure of our progress.

K Moore - well we were never going to land him were we? Low bids won't attract the better players. Good luck to him though, he should be ok at Barnsley if he can tame his elbows, the tykes should plan for him being suspended a lot if he doesn't work on that habit.

Signings so far - a bit underwhelming but the level of activity I would expect. Only Kerr Avon seems to fully understand that we as a club have a very limited budget (regardless of club propaganda) and that monies from Ward and Frecklington will disappear into the general running costs of the club and are unlikely to be used for cash signings. We will still need to heavily use the loan system. I still think the club is working it's way into the red not the black.

O'Donnell - Don't understand this one, maybe he wasn't a Warne yes boss type of guy and had to go, or maybe it was to save a wage. Either way we now have a first choice keeper that isn't ours backed up by a reserve keeper with an alleged attitude problem.

Frecklington - Now that makes sense when you consider his fitness issues, probably a high earner and to get a fee for him was a bonus. Thanks Frecks you did great for us. His leaving though does add more weight to the theory of the club having money issues.

Wood leaving? - Maybe if true another cost saving exercise.

Akeel Francis - we give him a pro contract in June and get rid of him on a free in December. Personally I think the Academy is an expensive waste of time and should be folded. The chances of finding a new star are remote and any young player with potential will hardly get a reserve game and has no chance of a first team appearance under our current habit of signing loan players.

Season tickets - regarding transfer to another person, well we know it happens and the club loses nothing, it may even attract a new fan if the stand in is a youngster. Must be remembered though that if the numpty in your seat is picked up by CCTV causing trouble then it's your door they will come knocking on and your ticket that will be suspended.

Like the post Grist. Like the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Signings so far - a bit underwhelming but the level of activity I would expect. Only Kerr Avon seems to fully understand that we as a club have a very limited budget (regardless of club propaganda) and that monies from Ward and Frecklington will disappear into the general running costs of the club and are unlikely to be used for cash signings. We will still need to heavily use the loan system. I still think the club is working it's way into the red not the black.
    You've overstated my position a bit.

I appreciate that TS keeps Rotherham United afloat with injections of cash and that as a consequence of that, the funds available to sign players is limited by the cash available to him and the extent to which he is willing to give it away. There is no point in comparing us with other football clubs, because the financial position of other clubs will necessarily be different.

You are right about the Ward/Frecklington money point. Of course it isn't a separate pot of cash that is kept in a biscuit tin (or even a separate bank account) it goes into the running of the club, but that has an influence upon what money is then available.