+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ed Doolan

Ed Doolan

passed away aged 76.
    I thought he was older than that, he sounded like an old bloke 40 years ago.

I could never listen to the bloke for long Des.

I always thought he was a rather rude and abrupt interviewer and he didn't actually listen to what his guest was saying.

Last week they played a show from ten years ago in which he interviewed Englebert Humperdinck.

Eng told the story of his schooldays and how lonely and isolated he felt during those years and Doolan's next question was....

"So how did you get on at school and did you enjoy your schooldays?

I sat in my cringing but in fairness to Eng he was politeness personified and he quietly repeated what he'd just said.

There's little wonder that Doolan's career only reached the heady heights of Brum radio to be listened to by sad middle aged housewives and little old ladies who's fannies are officially haunted.

Talking of local radio personalities I wonder whatever happened to Gordon Astley off Beacon Radio.

I used to find that guy to be funny and I once saw him play live at Jester's wine bar in Stourbridge in around 85 and he was a riot live.

Seemed to drop off the map soon after though.

Just googled Gordon Astley as i listened to him too. He did the final series of TISWAS, replacing Chris Tarrant. He was working for BBC Southern Counties until 2009. He is also a motivational speaker, a proffessional magician and a member of the Magic Circle.

As for Ed Doolan, we got the "Doves" off him about 20 years ago for responding to a job promptly. I last saw him about 10 years ago presenting a dog show over Baggeridge Country Park.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)