+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pele

Pele

Just watched the biopic on Sky movies.Well worth a watch especially for someone who as a 12 year old schoolboy watched a 17 year old still not fully fit score 3 against France in the 1958 World Cup semi final.

He then scored another 2 against the home Nation Sweden in the Final,Sweden had been odds on favourites.

People who were not around at the time put other great players such as Messi and Maradona forward, but none of them played with the flamboyant style of the young Pele who used Ginga football which came from Brazilian martial arts of the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    Just watched the biopic on Sky movies.Well worth a watch especially for someone who as a 12 year old schoolboy watched a 17 year old still not fully fit score 3 against France in the 1958 World Cup semi final.

He then scored another 2 against the home Nation Sweden in the Final,Sweden had been odds on favourites.

People who were not around at the time put other great players such as Messi and Maradona forward, but none of them played with the flamboyant style of the young Pele who used Ginga football which came from Brazilian martial arts of the same name.
    Just old enough to remember Pele..
    And the gentleman that he is,I'm sure he would recognise Messi as one of his peers,especially as football has moved forward and even "defenders" are now athletes.I'm sure you will agree on the defender point remember Bob Moncur,if you could go back in time and put a GPS on him.you woul probably find he did about 0.0000005 km..

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post

For me Pele was the greatest footballer of any period, his vision was something to behold. He defied logic with some of the balls he put into the net, I would have hated to defend against him, total magician when he had the ball at his feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    For me Pele was the greatest footballer of any period, his vision was something to behold. He defied logic with some of the balls he put into the net, I would have hated to defend against him, total magician when he had the ball at his feet.
    He was just something different, the likes of which I doubt we'll ever see again.

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    Just old enough to remember Pele..
    And the gentleman that he is,I'm sure he would recognise Messi as one of his peers,especially as football has moved forward and even "defenders" are now athletes.I'm sure you will agree on the defender point remember Bob Moncur,if you could go back in time and put a GPS on him.you woul probably find he did about 0.0000005 km..
    Defenders might of been a little slower but they could kick attackers up in the air.After losing the 1950 World Cup on their home soil the Brazil government encouraged the Brazilian FA to stamp out the fancy Ginga sometimes called Samba football.The coaches said the players had to copy the Europeans in particular the Hungarians and Italians with the ball on the ground and fast passing.It was not working and the 17 year old Pele got the team to go back to flicking the ball over defenders heads and spinning past them with the ball,overhead shots at goal done with great athleticism reaching the ball at heights higher than most players could head it.At the end of the 58 final even the Swedes were clapping the tricks of the Brazilians.The Brazil side of 1970 with Pele,Tostau,Jairzinho and the like was the best International side I have ever seen.

pat howard always says his claim to fame was playing against pele. his task was to stop him. think he scored a hattrick

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)