+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Copied of Barnsley Board

O/T Copied of Barnsley Board

For those of you who are old enough to remember, enjoy. For the rest

treat this as a history lesson!

Very surprising how time and memory has taken its toll. Have things

really changed this much in our time

EATING IN THE UK IN THE FIFTIES consider that:

Pasta had not been invented.

Curry was a surname.

A takeaway was a mathematical problem.

A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.

Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the

salt on or not.

A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.

Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.

A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

Brown bread was something only poor people ate.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Coffee was Camp, and came in a bottle.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Only Heinz made beans.

Fish didn't have fingers in those days.

Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.

None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.

Indian restaurants were only found in India.

Cooking outside was called camping.

Seaweed was not a recognised food.

"Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.

Prunes were medicinal.

Surprisingly muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.

Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of

a real one.

Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and

charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing

stock.

The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties .. was elbows!
    Last edited by abbobrom; 16-01-2018 at 09:00 PM.

Great stuff!

I can remember the first Chinese restuarant in Wolvo on Cheapside down by the Town Hall. It was called The Imperial Gardens, although we called it "The Imperialist Gardens" which was much more in keeping with the mood of the sixties.

Some memories there Abbo. I wonder what the modern generation would make of dripping sandwiches and Virol and bomb shelters in the school playground. I am so glad TV wasn't commonplace then as it would have deprived me of so many wonderful memories. Best memories of the lot were of the hours and hours of playing football on the beach at Lyme Regis.

We had bomb shelters in the playground, but you had to be very brave to venture into them. As for TV, one family in the street had a tele and I can remember about twenty people crammed into their front room, to watch what is now known as the Matthews Cup final. We were outside from dawn till dusk, making trollys out of pram wheels, roller skating, building dens, riding bikes, sometimes with no tyres, playing football and many other daring things. Despite all this we were healthy and fit, no obesity despite a limited diet.

loadsa places to park your car an all

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Some memories there Abbo. I wonder what the modern generation would make of dripping sandwiches and Virol and bomb shelters in the school playground. I am so glad TV wasn't commonplace then as it would have deprived me of so many wonderful memories. Best memories of the lot were of the hours and hours of playing football on the beach at Lyme Regis.
    I always thought dripping sarnies tasted and smelled revolting Wokey . I remember them when I was a kid in the 70s.
    Most of the things on that list though are amazing aren't they when you think about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I always thought dripping sarnies tasted and smelled revolting Wokey . I remember them when I was a kid in the 70s.
    Most of the things on that list though are amazing aren't they when you think about them.
    It must depend on the dripping Acido. The ones I had were great!

It must depend on the dripping Acido. The ones I had were great!
    Wokey, I was only talking about this with my brother over christmas when we were wondering what to do with the rest of the beef joint as it looked awful 2-3 days after it was cooked, and by now it was swimming in that 'orrible dripping muck lol.
    Hes also from that 1950s generation who loved dripping sarnies as a youngster and he still does, whereas I cant stand the stuff. There really is no accounting for taste is there!.

Abbo, Ive told the creator of this thread on our board and I'll say the same here as well, I think these are always really interesting threads when we as fans (regardless of who we support in footy) can share various memories, even though we're all obviously different ages.
    Last edited by Acido; 18-01-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Wokey, I was only talking about this with my brother over christmas when we were wondering what to do with the rest of the beef joint as it looked awful 2-3 days after it was cooked, and by now it was swimming in that 'orrible dripping muck lol.
    Hes also from that 1950s generation who loved dripping sarnies as a youngster and he still does, whereas I cant stand the stuff. There really is no accounting for taste is there!.

Abbo, Ive told the creator of this thread on our board and I'll say the same here as well, I think these are always really interesting threads when we as fans (regardless of who we support in footy) can share various memories, even though we're all obviously different ages.
    You'll be telling me you don't like Marmite next!

You'll be telling me you don't like Marmite next!
    Errr, do you really want me to answer that one kid ?

And heres some more controversy... I cant stand rice pudding or semolina either!!. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)