+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rod Fern

Sad news indeed.

I've posted this story before but here goes:

18th April 1981 I had planned to go to Carlisle. I had to phone my mate from hospital to tell him not to pick me up, as my daughter decided to enter the world 6 weeks early. My mate offered to pick me up at the hospital, I thought it only decent to decline.

Rod scored the only goal that day and the best Millers team I ever saw were promoted. For years I joked with my daughter that she would have been named Rodney if she had been a boy.

R.I.P. Rodney

One of the very best who helped ensure that the early 1980s will never be forgotten by those of us who were fortunate enough to witness that era. Thanks for the great memories, Rod and sincere condolences to family and friends. RIP.

(Hopefully the club can show that winning goal against Plymouth on Saturday).

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Very sad to hear that Rod's passed away , I remember Rod well from your great team of the early 80's and his partnership with Ronnie Moore up front .

Seem to remember Rod running the Chelsea defence ragged in a thumping Millers win captured on YTV .

We were arch rivals but I always respected Rod Fern and the rest of that great team .

Great memories Rod , RIP and my thoughts are with your family at this sad time .
    Great post Animal. Yes Rod got a hat-trick v Chelsea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nZfwdx9zLA

Rodney Fern a great professional footballer, a real legend at Rotherham, I was at Carlisle when we gained promotion with Rod's goal, also the great game against Chelsea, & not forgetting the winner at Millwall.
    Rodney Fern a true gentleman of the sport of football.

Sincere condolences to his family, at their sad loss.

Great player, great comb over. RIP Rodney.

Thanks for those brilliant memories Rodney....RIP club legend.

A Rotherham Legend. That match against Chelsea................ and many more. My condolences to his family

A great player in a great team.
    RIP Rod and thanks for some wonderful memories.

It's always sad when a Miller dies but I actually shed a few tears when I heard this today.

RIP Rod and thanks for some of the best footballing memories of my life.

What a player.

Sad to hear the news. He was central to what was possibly the happiest times for while I have been watching the Millers 1967 onward. I knew he was suffering from Alzheimer/ dementia, so not completely a surprised. So many memories, especially from 81. He looked much older than he actually was; Didn't cover every blade of grass, but had a bit of class and quality about him. I'm sure he would he would have been a top division player,. had he not had long term injuries when he was younger.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast