+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gordon Wills RIP

Gordon Wills RIP

Sad news that former Notts player Gordon Wills, who made 170 appearances scoring 47 goals for the Magpies has passed away.

Chelsea goalkeeper Chic Thomson clears from Notts County's Gordon Wills
    Name:  637426580.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  60.4 KB

Can I ask how you know this ?
    Haven’t seen anything on the official site

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post

https://www.lcfc.com/news/596953?utm...tm_medium=link

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    It is on the Leicester City site. They signed him from us.

EDIT: Here's the link... https://www.lcfc.com/news/596953/gordon-wills-19342018

Wills and Wylie... what a combo. Supporting Notts in the 50's and 60's was a very up and down period, but never boring.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Sad news that former Notts player Gordon Wills, who made 170 appearances scoring 47 goals for the Magpies has passed away.

Chelsea goalkeeper Chic Thomson clears from Notts County's Gordon Wills
    Name:  637426580.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  60.4 KB
    Yeees, a bit of snow didn't stop a game being played in them days! Look at the popular side - packed out.

... I remember seeing GW ... pushed to that front low wall; game v Bristol City ... played in swirling snow and sleet. You could hardly see ... remember him emerge from the semi-blizzard flying down the touchline trailed by Bristol City full back ... delivered another cross, to no avail. Class winger. He and Ron Wylie left at the end of that season - another relegation - GW to LC, RW to Villa.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... I remember seeing GW ... pushed to that front low wall; game v Bristol City ... played in swirling snow and sleet. You could hardly see ... remember him emerge from the semi-blizzard flying down the touchline trailed by Bristol City full back ... delivered another cross, to no avail. Class winger. He and Ron Wylie left at the end of that season - another relegation - GW to LC, RW to Villa.
    I may be wrong BH but I thought it was a wooden pailed fence not a wall. (Open to correction)

... Hello Serious ... I was going by the photo, but think there was a wall after the wooden fencing. Later there was a smarter low brick wall topped with horizontal steel scaffolding-type bars to lean on. On the day just remember leaning part sideways over thewall/fence as the crowd at the front was jammed-in. No doubt someone will put me right. COYP.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... Hello Serious ... I was going by the photo, but think there was a wall after the wooden fencing. Later there was a smarter low brick wall topped with horizontal steel scaffolding-type bars to lean on. On the day just remember leaning part sideways over thewall/fence as the crowd at the front was jammed-in. No doubt someone will put me right. COYP.
    The fencing was replaced by the wall/steel bars around the time Lawton became manager in '57.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast