+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did Warney do right putting Yates on at Southend?

Did Warney do right putting Yates on at Southend?

Obviously he’s the manager and thought that was the right thing to do but what’s your thoughts?

Couldn’t we have just moved Vaulks into midfield and pushed Towell up front instead.

I’m sorry but Yates is just not good enough, I keep hoping that he can be a goal scoring striker for us but Saturday just told me different

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    Obviously he’s the manager and thought that was the right thing to do but what’s your thoughts?

Couldn’t we have just moved Vaulks into midfield and pushed Towell up front instead.

I’m sorry but Yates is just not good enough, I keep hoping that he can be a goal scoring striker for us but Saturday just told me different
    With Lavery being ill, our options were rather limited. Is Lavery good enough either though?

I didn't go to the game so can't really comment on the circumstances that led to the substitution. However, I do think Yates is a long way from being good enough to play football at League 1 level. I really believe he should have been sent out on loan to a League 2 or Conference team in January to help his development.
    Having said that, I'm still not sure if he'll ever make it as a striker.
    I wonder if it would have been worth moving Taylor into a more central role at Southend (rather than bringing Yates on) and letting him buzz around playing off Smith and Ball. At least he's got pace and carries a bit of a goal threat. Unfortunately Yates has neither of these attributes at the moment.

He is never going to change a game for us if we are chasing the game,waste of a sub in those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I wonder if it would have been worth moving Taylor into a more central role at Southend (rather than bringing Yates on) and letting him buzz around playing off Smith and Ball. At least he's got pace and carries a bit of a goal threat. Unfortunately Yates has neither of these attributes at the moment.
    It's not a bad idea. Although Taylor is not usually a clinical finisher either (goal at Portsmouth excepted) he might have created enough chaos for Ball or Smith to score

I didn't go to the game so can't really comment on the circumstances that led to the substitution. However, I do think Yates is a long way from being good enough to play football at League 1 level. I really believe he should have been sent out on loan to a League 2 or Conference team in January to help his development.
    Having said that, I'm still not sure if he'll ever make it as a striker.
    I don't think Taylor would have been able to make any difference there.

Moving Vaulks into midfield may have made a difference as Millertop said taking Williams or Taylor off to make way. Putting Wood on as a replacement would have been the experience that Warne said that we lacked.

It's great saying it after the game. If you look through the Matchthreads the drunks on there usually give a good indication of what they think whilst watching or listening to it.

If he's not good enough and we can get him in the team in view to selling him it'll be ok wouldn't it as long as he gets a couple of goals

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    If he's not good enough and we can get him in the team in view to selling him it'll be ok wouldn't it as long as he gets a couple of goals
    If he's not good enough he shouldn't get anywhere near the team. I think if Proctor gets fit enough to return this season Yates won't even get into the squad.

If he's not good enough he shouldn't get anywhere near the team. I think if Proctor gets fit enough to return this season Yates won't even get into the squad.
    I've said it before that I am surprised he's got game time since the arrival of Lavery and Smith. If Lavery wasn't ill I don't think Yates would have played.

I'm still hoping that JCH comes good for us Really I think Yates will be around the squad/team until he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by frogmiller View Post
    I've said it before that I am surprised he's got game time since the arrival of Lavery and Smith. If Lavery wasn't ill I don't think Yates would have played.

I'm still hoping that JCH comes good for us Really I think Yates will be around the squad/team until he's sold.
    ........JCH, I'd almost forgotten about him!
    Better leave it at that or Millertop will be on my case 😀

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast