+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Cover for first team places

Cover for first team places

There has been a lot of talk in the media about our "big" squad, but I think it is a gross exaggeration. The arrival of Armstrong and Payne has certainly improved things, but before they came, we had 25 in the squad. Two of those were the reserve keepers; Hart and Feeney are out on loan; Wharton is probably not really in contention; then we have had Lenihan, Whittingham, Evans, Gladwin and Chapman all injured. In reality, therefore, Mowbray was selecting from about 16 players last week, with U-23s - such as Tomlinson and Travis - making up the numbers.
    As it is, we are looking at the following in each position:
    GK: Raya (Leutwiler, Fisher)
    RB: Nyambe, Caddis
    CB: Mulgrew, Downing, Ward, Lenihan (Wharton)
    LB: Williams (J. Doyle)
    RW/M: Bennett, Chapman
    DCM: Smallwood, Evans (Travis)
    ACM: Whittingham, Payne (Tomlinson)
    LW/M: Conway, Gladwin
    Link Forwards: Dack, Armstrong, Antonsson, Samuel
    CF: Graham, Nuttall.

Until Lenihan is fit, I would say nine of those just about pick themselves: the back five, Bennett, Smallwood, Dack and Graham (although TM says he will not select Graham for every game).
    It is going to be very interesting to see how the rest are juggled, especially if we get everyone fit at the same time.

One thing I will add is the arrival of Payne is a crucial one as he can play on either wing or in a dack style role.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    One thing I will add is the arrival of Payne is a crucial one as he can play on either wing or in a dack style role.
    Quite right, Robin - especially as I forgot to add Antonsson to the list of those injured.
    How about this for Saturday:
    Raya
    Nyambe Downing Mulgrew Williams
    Armstrong Bennett Smallwood Payne
    Dack
    Graham?

Too many "artists"; not enough "soldiers"?!

I would be inclined to leave the same players that started against Shrewsbury
    The thought of Payne and Armstrong coming on with 20-25 minutes would frighten a lot of teams.

Yes - an unchanged team is a real possibility. If the situation allows, Armstrong and Payne could then replace Samuel and Conway for the final quarter.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)