+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: George Cooper goes Posh

Quote Originally Posted by alexmick View Post
    Spot on with that. It is a damn good job people do post on here regarding whatever topic they wish to raise, including the academy. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this subject, either one way or another. Just annoys me when some posters are not only rude to others, but insult their intelligence besides. This type of behaviour sent me packing away from this forum three years ago, simply because the moderators failed to act in stopping such childish antics. I returned thinking that things had settled down, with people being more considerate to one another and accepting that others had opinions that should be respected (even though they were not the same as their own).

Concerning the two youngsters who grabbed their chance yesterday (Kirk and Reilly), I thought that they played very well and I see these academy graduates developing into good professionals, given time. One thing about Artell is this (IMO). He does give the youngsters plenty of opportunity to show their potential. Before Artell took over, Ainley had been cast out into the wilderness and was a forgotten man. Having persevered with the lad, the Crewe management team have a very good player on their hands. I believe he is a better prospect than Cooper and is displaying that with his performances right now. A lad who is quick, tricky, can take a man on and beat him. Hopefully, the manager can convince Ainley to get that contract signed. Those are my opinions. I don't expect people to agree with them, just to respect what I think.
    Mick it's interesting what you say about Ainley and being left out of the side, others may know why, whether that was he wasn't good enough or some kind of favouritism or falling out but I know I though the same when Murphy was in the side and to me he looked a very good player and doing what I like which is looking to score as seemingly Ainley is and Murphy fell out of fashion for quite a while if I recall and then he got back into the side and the rest is history. The only sour pill is why he is holding out signing an extension which can become endemic.

I also agree that our teams should comprise 75% established Pro's and 25% academy but the Board was sucked into the spin of Dario where he thought the academy could produce a full team of players without the need to sign anyone. Well we have had teams with a fair few academy players in and so again it all depends on their natural ability and I would be interested out of pure interest whether Ainley showed that talent many years ago? I mean without needing much coaching is more my point? But the fact is players will only improve by competition and not coaching ie if they have the talent then make sure they get games if they are physically up to it that is...

I know Dario once said to me that the 'coaches' were spending far too much time on the computer and paperwork for each player on the books....Maybe that was a good thing I don't know and now they have more time to ermmm, coach!

I did say to Dario I thought Jones was an excellent prospect when I saw him about 3 years ago now or maybe less but DG said nah, he's going nowhere! . I hope the child abuse enquiry is nearing its conclusion as would like to see Dario back in the game he so loves..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 21-01-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    So ALL the evidence so far is that the quality and intensity of coaching makes a significant difference has been disproved at ALL levels...

What would you say if we had an education system without teachers?
    Maybe those with a high IQ would still go on to succeed, but even they have to learn facts, techniques and absorb knowledge from someone .....

Surely football coaching is no different!
    You can have all the ability and natural talent in the world but it guarantees you nothing.
    There is no substitute in this world (not just football) for experience - and if you are young, as many of our players are, where are they going to get that from?

As for George, yes, we will miss him. He is still (after last weekend) top of the L2 assists chart. Pleased for him and his start at Peterborough. Hope he goes on to bigger and better things.
    Last edited by somersetcrewe; 23-01-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by somersetcrewe View Post
    What would you say if we had an education system without teachers?
    Maybe those with a high IQ would still go on to succeed, but even they have to learn facts, techniques and absorb knowledge from someone .....

Surely football coaching is no different!
    You can have all the ability and natural talent in the world but it guarantees you nothing.
    There is no substitute in this world (not just football) for experience - and if you are young, as many of our players are, where are they going to get that from?

As for George, yes, we will miss him. He is still (after last weekend) top of the L2 assists chart. Pleased for him and his start at Peterborough. Hope he goes on to bigger and better things.
    Hi mate, I agree with you there is no substitute for experience and that is got by playing competitive games not how to play and football is almost entirely different from anything else that needs to be taught. I would not have become a Chartered Engineer lol without being taught maths and science but nobody taught me to play football at a decent level because babies can kick a ball or throw a ball and when i was playing I became a better player by joining my local leagues and playing matches. I can't think of ONE football lesson that needed teaching to me. I could pass a ball, take throw in, score loads of goals from midfield which was my chosen position but could have played anywhere and its laughable me reading that professional players are playing out of position. I could play anywhere maybe except goalkeeping and does that need coaching when all you need is anticipation and agility and height..

I have seen the greats play in person ie Bobby Charlton, Best, Greaves and saw many other great players with skills that despite all the so called coaching, have never seen at the Alex. You should have seen Frank Lord, he was hopeless if you gave him the ball at his feet but put one near his head, anywhere in the penalty area and it was a goal and why he has the record here still and 99% scored with his head. Was he taught or coached to do that? I doubt it..

Football skills don't change based on coaching because its a 'natural' sport and why spending millions is a waste of money and especially with 5 year olds and ten year olds.. Look at them when they can make a contribution in the senior ranks when you can see how strong they are, how quick they are and how much ability they have around the pitch. Academies are the latest fad but if you were following the thread on academies a couple of weeks ago, the evidence is there before your eyes that despite all this coaching in the PL academies, less than 1% make it...

We would be better concentrating on the ones that don't and I think IF clubs like Crewe spread their wings into non league and local leagues and the above, we could get better players than we have at a fraction of the cost..I always ask the same question when we play non league teams in the cup, Is there any player better than ours? I think the answer is definitely but when you have scores of players and kids coming through at great expense, you just don't go and look for them...

All imo of course mate...And its not what most people think but then there are vested interests in keeping it all going!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    .... I think IF clubs like Crewe spread their wings into non league and local leagues and the above, we could get better players than we have at a fraction of the cost..I always ask the same question when we play non league teams in the cup, Is there any player better than ours?

I think we all know there are undiscovered gems out there, but don't be fooled by one appearance - especially when it's against us!!
    I can think of Yemi Odubade who ran us ragged when playing for Eastleigh in the FA Cup. He's 33 now and look at the number of clubs he has played for - and more significantly in which division!! Must tell you something about his overall ability. Remember, we can often make the average look very good, Crewe have been experts at that - for years!!
    Gary Harkins, when on loan at Oldham, ran the show against us too, but again, look at his CV before and after. Another who chose one away game at Gresty Road to start pulling up trees!!

I remember when I was a kid watching Yeovil vs. Bishops Stortford in the old Isthmian League. A guy called Carl Zacchau played for them, pissed all over Yeovil all afternoon, very pacy! So the following close season, Yeovil signed him! He was bloody rubbish!!!

A good scout is worth his corn because he will clock up the miles before casting a judgement. With Baker gone, I just wonder who (if anyone) does that at the Alex these days?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345