+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Callum Wright and other Rovers news ....

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover View Post
    Champs - it is galling. On the other hand, we might have only been hovering mid-table in the Championship now if we had survived. As it is, Mowbray has had time to develop a squad that suits him and we now have momentum. As you say, possibly a blessing in disguise - apart from the financial implications.
    That's what I think Auks. There are no givens, but if we get back up we are on a crest of wave then. Like you say, it could've been us just treading water if had stopped up.

As in what you mentioned about Bennet in that holding role. Smallwood does get booked every week, so when he misses a few matches, he can step into his position aswell. And won't let us down. This Payne coming in gives us lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95 View Post
    That's what I think Auks. There are no givens, but if we get back up we are on a crest of wave then. Like you say, it could've been us just treading water if had stopped up.

As in what you mentioned about Bennet in that holding role. Smallwood does get booked every week, so when he misses a few matches, he can step into his position aswell. And won't let us down. This Payne coming in gives us lots of options.
    Champs - TM made it clear he would prefer permanent signings, but he obviously thought Payne and Armstrong were too good to miss. Bell has finally arrived, and Downing is now permanent.
    What interests me is what will happen with the loan-players at the end of the season. If they all do well and we get promoted, I wonder if Venky's will approve the full signing of Armstrong, Payne and Chapman. They all look like players who would not be out of place, a Division higher.
    Another thing that interests me is what will happen with our large group of U-23 midfielders. Tomlinson, Hardcastle, Rankin-Costello, Mols and Grayson are all central players, and it looks as if Travis is at home there too. Even assuming Evans goes, with Payne's arrival and Bennett's versatility, it is going to be difficult to keep everybody happy next year. And, of course, when Lenihan's fit, you could even argue that we have either Mulgrew or Downing also able to play the "holding" midfield role, as both have experience in that position!
    I wouldn't be much use at this manager-business, as I'd be trying too hard to give everybody a fair chance!

Brfcc's vast majority response to Smallwood's signing was a disgrace. I was banned (again) for defending the signing, and saying 'give the lad a chance'.. Apparently that was WUM posting and banned I got.. Tossers.

Saxo - you're right. Players should never be condemned until they've had a chance to prove themselves. I have to say, however, I never thought for a moment that Smallwood and Downing would become fixtures. I assumed they had been signed as cover-players.
    It just shows, though. Those posters (on all sites) who are attracted by premature judgements, very often find themselves in a position of having to remove a foot from the mouth at a later stage. (Not that some of them do, actually. There are one or two on the Telegraph site who would rather use chili-peppers as enemas than admit they could ever have been wrong).

Aucks, OOInteresting that you liken him to Lowe (when I referenced ‘banjo/jazz hands) , yes very easy to see why. My view is that Lowe was a ‘constant’ selection wise and he turned in (arguably) the same ineffectual(?) performance week in week out. Whereas Bennet was in and out , but his performances were up and down. Hence my thoughts of - just maybe when given a run and a nailed on role he may come good. Just a thought .
    Last edited by Despair; 20-01-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Sorry about that Aucks, I'm getting my Evans / Bennet comments mixed up!
    Although, the two could be likened in a small way ie whereas Evans in my view view has 'run his course' with us (esp with continued injuries), TM has seen in Bennet 'possibilities'.
    As for the barracking neither I don't think has suffered the severe perennial barracking many others have suffered. At the mo it appears that Ward is their 'current target'.
    Like Champs I 'despair'��, when I am in the vicinity of these 'supporters'.
    It's quite acceptable to opinionate upon individuals within assemblies of fellow supporters, but without damn right abusive personal attacks upon them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)