+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ot - Memories and facts, from the 1950s

ot - Memories and facts, from the 1950s

This thread was started on our board a few days ago and its also on Wolves mad, and I hoped some of you fans on here would like to read through this. We're all a different ages of course but how weird do these facts look today, they are still relevant even now despite being 60+ years old.

For those of you who are old enough to remember, enjoy. For the rest treat this as a history lesson!
    Very surprising how time and memory has taken its toll. Have things really changed this much in our time..

EATING IN THE UK IN THE FIFTIES, consider that:
    Pasta had not been invented.
    Curry was a surname.
    A takeaway was a mathematical problem.
    A pizza was something to do with a leaning tower.
    Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.
    All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.
    A Chinese chippy was a foreign carpenter.
    Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.
    A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.
    Brown bread was something only poor people ate.
    Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.
    Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.
    Coffee was Camp, and came in a bottle.
    Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.
    Only Heinz made beans.
    Fish didn't have fingers in those days.
    Eating raw fish was called poverty, not sushi.
    None of us had ever heard of yoghurt.
    Healthy food consisted of anything edible.
    People who didn't peel potatoes were regarded as lazy.
    Indian restaurants were only found in India.
    Cooking outside was called camping.
    Seaweed was not a recognised food.
    "Kebab" was not even a word never mind a food.
    Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being white gold.
    Prunes were medicinal.
    Surprisingly muesli was readily available, it was called cattle feed.
    Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
    Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing stock.
    The one thing that we never ever had on our table in the fifties .. was elbows!

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    This thread was started on our board a few days ago and its also on Wolves mad, and I hoped some of you fans on here would like to read through this. We're all a different ages of course but how weird do these facts look today, they are still relevant even now despite being 60+ years old.

For those of you who are old enough to remember, enjoy. For the rest treat this as a history lesson!
    Very surprising how time and memory has taken its toll. Have things really changed this much in our time..

Curry was a surname.
    All crisps were plain; the only choice we had was whether to put the salt on or not.
    Only Heinz made beans.
    Prunes were medicinal.
    Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a real one.
    Water came out of the tap, if someone had suggested bottling it and charging more than petrol for it they would have become a laughing stock.
    Brilliant !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post

Curry was a surname.
    Only Heinz made beans.
    Prunes were medicinal.
    brilliant post.chip shops only sold chips ,fish .sometimes a roe .and they all gave you batters.

Do your remember the 'Corona' van? Came round with a wooden crate which had four compartments with four different flavours. There were more than four flavours but you just had whatever was in the box he gave to you. I think they were lemonade, orange, raspberry, dandelion and burdock, lime, cider and ginger. Liked the cider the best. I'm sure many of you have other memories.

My nan ran an outdoor. When we visited I could go out back and pick a bottle of pop for myself. All sorts and I would try to wring the changes. So much choice. Not Corona. Cresswells I think. I loved going out front and watching people come in with all sorts of empty bottles and jugs to get their Saturday night mild or bitter. All poured from wooden barrels. Smudge would drink the slops until he was too pis sed to stand. And the constant distinctive smell of beer that filled the place. That was in the 50's. I don't suppose there are places like that anywhere now

Eating in the streets was frowned upon in the 60s. Anyone walking along eating fish and chips was uncouth. Okay to sit on a bench and do it.
    Although we produce far more rubbish nowadays back then there always seemed to be a lot of rubbish in the gutters, more than now. I find that odd.

Scratchings were given away free at the butchers in a plain paper bag and only in the Black Country.

Glad you enjoyed this lads, I hoped this would appeal to some fans on here of certain ages. But to be honest, I think this sort of thread will always keep its appeal to any of us regardless of our age.
    Speaking of fish and the fish shop (and yes I call it that rather than the chip shop lol), do you lot have what we Yorkies call proper fishcakes in the West Midlands ?.

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    Scratchings were given away free at the butchers in a plain paper bag and only in the Black Country.
    We used to call at the butchers in Dudley arcade for ours on the way back from the Albion.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    We used to call at the butchers in Dudley arcade for ours on the way back from the Albion.
    What were/are butchers scratchings eh '55 ?. It might be an obvious answer, but Im interested to know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)