+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jeremy’s successor

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post
    And this is one of the things that is wrong with modern politics.

Instead of picking a leader on talent and gravitas, it is more important to look slick and attractive.

I'm sorry BT, but it is a very shallow way to run our affairs - but there is a lot of truth in what you say.

There could be someone capable of being the best PM we have ever had, but if they are pig-ugly then they will not have a chance.

As a nation we have succumbed to the advertising agencies.
    I wonder how Churchill with his age looks, stutter and inability to say his esses would fare these days.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Anyway who says JC is on his way out ? I know nothing about what's going on inside Labour, BT will know far more than me, but JC looks secure enough to me, and I don't get the impression he's ready to take a back seat any time soon.

And why should he ? He's the Nick Pope of politics, chucked in at the deep end and expected to be a walking disaster area. Nothing of the sort, much to the surprise of the media, and the dismay of Labour moderates, he's done a brilliant job of re*****ising Labour. Leave the old boy alone, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
    From February
    Labour has carried out secret polling to test the popularity of senior figures touted as successors to Jeremy Corbyn. The party has denied that Mr Corbyn plans to step down before 2020.

Voters were asked to rate shadow chancellor John McDonnell along with rising stars Rebecca Long-Bailey and Angela Rayner, according to a document leaked to the Sunday Times.

Paddy powers odds similar to BTs assessment.
    https://sports.paddypower.mobi/#spor...event/12414010

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    I wonder how Churchill with his age looks, stutter and inability to say his esses would fare these days.
    Who do you think would have been the best PM we never had? Say, over the last 30 years?

I would say...

John Smith (Labour)
    Paddy Pants-Down (Lib Dem)
    Vince Cable (Lib Dem)
    Michael Hezeltine (Tory)

Trouble is...our best talent very rarely goes into politics these days. They can earn much more money and not be subject to extreme personal media scrutiny by getting an "ordinary" job.

The next PM is actually very scary when you look at the possibilities. For the Tories we have Rees-Mogg or Boris, for Labour it is sure to be one of the lunatics who have taken over the asylum.

One day soon the population will finally come to it's senses and we will have a more sensible choice - but for now the "middle ground" is not where many voters want to be.

let me see....need someone new to masquerade as a public servant - a cold, unfeeling and cunning low life that'll deny any wrongdoing, and slap us with more rules and regulations......easy - as just another cab for hire - a corporate puppet to shuffle the papers from left to right and channel the wealth back to their unelected banker and industrialist leaders - so take your pick - the worlds full of egotistical sellout tw@ts that are more than willing to scew us over.

I would love to see your Birth Certificate Norder. I'll bet your middle name is Cynical!

59-60:
    And this is one of the things that is wrong with modern politics.

Instead of picking a leader on talent and gravitas, it is more important to look slick and attractive.

Oh no ! when I was very young I heard my mother say to my father '' he looks a nice chap I 'll vote for him!'' (Thats over 60 yrs ago?)

From our left wing , a good fellow, but?

"What we need now in the Labour Party is someone who appeals to Middle England and the BBC and can talk the talk and walk the walk"

When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn? A 2nd Blair perhaps that can blah blah blah etc? That can talk his way out of any sinking ship? Walk the walk ,talk the talk ....only for you to be fooled again? Yes, why not the sinking ship will be Britain?

'' Leadership has to be lead with people with a strong sense of Morality''.( The question is how to do this ? )thats what you have to realize !!

Quote Originally Posted by Balanbam00 View Post
    From our left wing , a good fellow, but?

"What we need now in the Labour Party is someone who appeals to Middle England and the BBC and can talk the talk and walk the walk"

When will we ever learn? When will we ever learn? A 2nd Blair perhaps that can blah blah blah etc? That can talk his way out of any sinking ship? Walk the walk ,talk the talk ....only for you to be fooled again? Yes, why not the sinking ship will be Britain?

'' Leadership has to be lead with people with a strong sense of Morality''.( The question is how to do this ? )thats what you have to realize !!
    I did go on to say, "The Labour Party now needs to declare just what sort of political party it really is, address head on the serious issues that the United Kingdom currently face and put their case to the British electorate."

We just need someone pretty to present our case and that's just the way it is guys, I'm sorry to say!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I would love to see your Birth Certificate Norder. I'll bet your middle name is Cynical!
    is that like your old friend Aneurin Bevan then - BT ?

Speech in the House of Commons, 2 July 1942

I have spent now more than a quarter of a century of my life in public affairs, and as I grow older I become more and more pessimistic. I started-if the House will forgive me this personal note - my career in public affairs in a small colliery town in South Wales. When I was quite a young boy my father took me down the street and showed me one or two portly and complacent looking gentlemen standing at the shop doors, and, pointing to one, he said, "Very important man. That's Councillor Jackson. He's a very important man in this town." I said, "What's the Council?" "Oh, that's the place that governs the affairs of this town," said my father. "Very important place indeed, and they are very powerful men." When I got older I said to myself, "The place to get to is the council. That's where the power is." So I worked very hard, and, in association with my fellows, when I was about 20 years of age, I got on to the council. I discovered when I got there that the power had been there, but it had just gone. So I made some inquiries, being an earnest student of social affairs, and I learned that the power had slipped down to the county council. That was as where it was, and where it had gone to. So I worked very hard again, and I got there-and it had gone from there too. Then I found out that it had come up here. So I followed it, and sure enough I found that it had been here, but I just saw its coat tails round the corner.

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Aneurin_Bevan

Norder, all my life the Tories have been the puppets of big business. That's who funds them. No free lunch.

Similarly Labour are the puppets of the unions. That's who funds them. No free lunch.

That's the main reason I opted for the Liberals. They can act in the national interest, and I like the feel of the party.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)