+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Exeter City (20/01/18)

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    I'm not too surprised. Their game against West Brom was on live over here and they gave a good account of themselves.
    Never stopped pushing and played as a team. they'll be in the mix right til the end
    Agreed, they looked a decent footballing side.....but a draw would have been a fairer result, Notts had quite a few chances near the end....we had them under the cosh....never mind, bring on the next game

Quote Originally Posted by Hysongreenpie View Post
    At least Banjo pie will be happy the gimp !
    Everyone has an opinion....even though Banjo is a "glass half empty" type of poster, it is a shame that he has been hounded off here by a few posters who slag him off every week......some people are trying to kill this board, and it is slowly working, unfortunately

Poor performance today, we just weren't 'on' it. Poor in defence and attack, even so we deserved at least a draw. The way Nolo had us set up today, ob didn't suit us! Huffed and puffed a lot towards the end with few actual shots on target.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Poor performance today, we just weren't 'on' it. Poor in defence and attack, even so we deserved at least a draw. The way Nolo had us set up today, ob didn't suit us! Huffed and puffed a lot towards the end with few actual shots on target.
    Shush gumpie, you should know that criticising "the management" on here is a hanging offence, but I agree todays defeat was more down to tactics & team selection than having a weak team or needing signings, league positions indicate that we are the 2nd most consistent team in our league.

Quote Originally Posted by irish_pie View Post
    Mansfailed loosing now
    That gap getting smaller every week!

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Not sure why you are having a pop at me Kels, I put up a very optimistic half~time post......are you sure that you are not letting your personal feud with Banjo get in the way of your judgement?
    Here was my post from Mexico.....Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Notts are playing well with the ball on the deck, but we got caught with 2 sucker punches....their number 11 bought a foul on the edge of the box, the Kop went crazy, half cleared the free kick but their guy hammered it low and hard through a crowded box and it went in off the bottom of the post....their 2nd was a high ball out of defence, we were caught 1 on 1 at the back and their number 11 turned the defender and curled the shot into the corner

We have had plenty of good attacks but we cannot find the killer ball into the box.

There are more goals in this game but IMO we need to change things up front and really go for this.....we CAN pull this back

Cannot see anything wrong with that?

Overall a decent game even though we made quite a few changes.....bring on the next game...COYP
    Wasn’t having a pop at you,as I’ve said before it’s been quite noticeable how you’ve changed from pre season.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyStag View Post
    That gap getting smaller every week!
    Has the tub of lard walked yet? Heard he was getting that much stuck he wouldn’t come out and give an interview?

Kevin Nolan has worked wonders for the past year and I give him every credit for it, but I have to call it as I see it and say today's defeat is on him. The absolute key to his success since January last year has been his rigid adherence to a 4-4-2 system, where all the players know their roles and have grown in confidence and consistency because of it.

Today, we changed to a 4-5-1 which saw the whole team look less confident and toothless up front, with Jon Stead completely isolated. Throughout this season we have won our midfield battles with two central midfielders, yet with three today we were comprehensively second best in that area of the park. Going back to the Keith Curle days of turgid football, I actually believe the extra man makes players lazy about tracking and tackling and inclined to take too many touches, whereas with two you know you have to win your tackles, stay sharp and keep the ball moving.

I accept that Nolan faced a problem, with Yates gone and Hewitt having to drop back to plug the gap caused by our shortage of centre-half cover, but that problem in itself is the manager's job to recognise and sort out. Instead of prioritising a centre-half, we have increased the number of midfielders in the squad, and if today is anything to go by, Nolan does not trust the new recruits to operate in a 4-4-2 and was forced to scrap his established system. If that's the case, then it's a major mistake either tactically or in terms of recruitment.

We desperately need another quality centre-half and striker, and then it's up to the midfielders to show they can operate in a two-man midfield. Any of them who cannot should not have a role to play.
    Last edited by jackal2; 20-01-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keldsyke View Post
    Wasn’t having a pop at you,as I’ve said before it’s been quite noticeable how you’ve changed from pre season.
    One last post: You pompous Ass - amazing what you can find when you type 'keldsyke' in to google !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Kevin Nolan has worked wonders for the past year and I give him every credit for it, but I have to call it as I see it and say today's defeat is on him. The absolute key to his success since January last year has been his rigid adherence to a 4-4-2 system, where all the players know their roles and have grown in confidence and consistency because of it.

Today, we changed to a 4-5-1 which saw the whole team look less confident and toothless up front, with Jon Stead completely isolated. Throughout this season we have won our midfield battles with two central midfielders, yet with three today we were comprehensively second best in that area of the park. Going back to the Keith Curle days of turgid football, I actually believe the extra man makes players lazy and inclined to take too many touches, whereas with two you know you have to win your tackles, stay sharp and keep the ball moving.

I accept that Nolan faced a problem, with Yates gone and Hewitt having to drop back to plug the gap caused by our shortage of centre-half cover, but that problem in itself is the manager's job to recognise and sort out. We have increased the number of midfielders in the squad, but if today is anything to go by, Nolan does not trust the new recruits to operate in a 4-4-2 and was forced to scrap his established system. If that's the case, then it's a major mistake either tactically or in terms of recruitment.

We desperately need another quality centre-half and striker, and then it's up to the midfielders to show they can operate in a two-man midfield. Any of them who cannot should not have a role to play.
    Absolutely Spot on

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast