+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Match Thread vs. Exeter City (20/01/18)

On the positive side, I thought Nobby had a brilliant game today, especially the second half. He controlled the midfield and put in some cracking passes. He was my man of the match. Thought Husin and Virtue also showed a deal of promise. A great shame we set up as negatively as we did in the first half, it left us with too much to do second half to turn it around.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    On the positive side, I thought Nobby had a brilliant game today, especially the second half. He controlled the midfield and put in some cracking passes. He was my man of the match. Thought Husin and Virtue also showed a deal of promise. A great shame we set up as negatively as we did in the first half, it left us with too much to do second half to turn it around.
    I thought individually all three played reasonably neat and tidy football, with a couple of good quality passes thrown in, but it's deceptive. Ultimately, they lost the midfield battle for the first 60 minutes. The key question is which of those players have enough about them to join Elliott Hewitt and replace Ryan Yates in our proper two-mam midfield formation, which has been the root of our success for the last year.
    Last edited by jackal2; 20-01-2018 at 06:42 PM.

I thought Walker slotted in well in the centre of defence when he came on, at least I think it was him, I had my second-best pair of glasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Treatment to Banjo by the likes of Keldpsycho & Notts78 on this fred is disgraceful. Posters like you two deny free speech to others and take up being mardy arses just because Notts are losing.
    Which one of you is 12 and which one is 13?
    Good one Sid. How did Hull City get on today?
    BTW, my issue with Banjo was not because we lost (at the time losing) it was to do with his/her constant digs at us. Yes I snapped, and maybe should not have got personal, however, he/she has tugged and tugged and tugged away at my patience.

Quote Originally Posted by MagpieTony View Post
    Noble was also my MOM . Thought Husin showed some nice touches but obviously doesn't like a challenge . Virtue was largely anonymous in my eyes . I know we haven't exactly swapped him but seems like we had a Rolls and now have a Cortina. Thought we deserved a draw but nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by nay123 View Post
    Stags will be above notts by Easter
    Geographically yes, on a North oriented map.

Also thought Hewitt had a good game . I started a post recently saying how important this lad as become to Notts and got some negative replies. Not exactly from the same people today but now I am hearing how much we missed him in midfield , and we did.
    Last edited by navypie; 20-01-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    Also thought Hewitt had a good game . I started a post recently saying how important this lad as become to Notts and got some negative replies. Not exactly from the same people today but now I am hearing how much we missed him in midfield , and we did.
    Hewitt has been a revelation ever since Nolan arrived. In 25 years watching Notts I don't think I've ever seen a player transform to such a degree. We definitely need him most in midfield though, then it's up to any one of about six to claim the Yates role alongside him.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I thought individually all three played reasonably neat and tidy football, with a couple of good quality passes thrown in, but it's deceptive. Ultimately, they lost the midfield battle for the first 60 minutes. The key question is which of those players have enough about them to join Elliott Hewitt and replace Ryan Yates in our proper two-mam midfield formation, which has been the root of our success for the last year.
    You've just summarised what I was about to post jackal. While our centre midfield three of Noble, Virtue and Husin are all technically accomplished and capable of picking a pass, none of them offer the physical presence so ***** in this league. It's often an unsung role, but Yates and Hewitt in that position have been in my opinion the main reason we have done so well this season. They don't have too many creative moments, but they have done a brilliant job in stopping the opposition playing. It was too easy for Exeter today, we gave them time and space in the middle and to their credit they took full advantage. Most of the second balls were theirs, which earned them the 3 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    You've just summarised what I was about to post jackal. While our centre midfield three of Noble, Virtue and Husin are all technically accomplished and capable of picking a pass, none of them offer the physical presence so ***** in this league. It's often an unsung role, but Yates and Hewitt in that position have been in my opinion the main reason we have done so well this season. They don't have too many creative moments, but they have done a brilliant job in stopping the opposition playing. It was too easy for Exeter today, we gave them time and space in the middle and to their credit they took full advantage. Most of the second balls were theirs, which earned them the 3 points.
    Spot on. Neil Bishop and Rick Ravenhill did the job brilliantly in 2009/10, and Hewitt and Yates have repeated the trick this season (with Rob Milsom covering pretty well when one has been missing). Hewitt is still here but Yates has gone, so which one of Milsom, Noble, Noor, Walker and Virtue has the desire, defensive awareness and battling qualities to fill the void?

And frankly, why do we need so many contenders for one midfield spot when we're short of centre halves and a striker?

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast