+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Portsmouth Post Match Thoughts

Get Rodak signed NOW (whilst we can afford him) and don't sell Newell (several clubs after him I hear). Hope the chairman doesn't now conclude we don't need new players ! We still want a centre half,a mobile centre midfielder and a quick striker.

A deserved win on the second half performance and I don't think there was any miller in the ground, from tiny tot to old lady, not singing "jackett, jackett whats the score" at the end of the game. You had it coming Mr Yeller belly!

I agree with posters who say we desperately need that central midfielder to replace Frecks. If we can't afford anyone else this MUST be a priority if we are to keep this run going because, if Towell or Vaulks are injured or suspended we will be not be able to cover them.Arguably we need 2, a ball winner and a passer. I am not so worried about the forwards now because I think Smith will be a good Kieffer replacement when he is up to speed.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 20-01-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Thought we played them off large park in second half and more than deserved the last minute goal. Smith looked good on the ball and supplied a wonderful cross for the goal.

We put massive pressure on them second half and they stood firm albeit with some luck but we finally broke their hearts with a glorious goal from Mattock,but it was a marvellous game of football enjoyable and nail biting from start to finish and we were worthy winners in the end well done to everyone,can't wait for tuesday.

Not the best first half, Yates just shouldn’t be starting
    Came out better 2nd half and even better when subs were made
    Not the best from Towell again but probably still getting over being ill
    Vaulks made his usual mistakes but did well overall
    Forde was everywhere and getting better and better each game MOTM for me
    Ball did well but needs to hit first time
    Smith made an impact and assist to the goal
    Great goal from Mattock and deserves credit from you lot that don’t rate him
    Good to see Taylor back

Jackett didn’t go in the press room, still a bottler

Fantastic 3 points

That second half performances was fantastic after a very mediocre first half.

Can't believe the lukewarm response to be honest there was so much to admire.

Ajayi is a class act. He is young and will make mistakes but he is quality.

Delighted for Mattock.His crossing was superb today, a wonderful whip and shape to his crosses. I like how he combines with Newell.

Having said that the moment of the day was when Pompey caught us on the break and Forde burst a lung to track back and intercept with a superbly timed tackle. i think it is obvious now that Forde is in the team because he does the ugly things well. We might have a player here.

Smith to me looked really useful. His track record isn't great but it does happen sometimes that certain players suddenly click at a club, so here's hoping. He won everything in the air and he looked a lot quicker than I anticipated.

Ball also is superb. Always making clever runs and always in space.

Rodak was very good today. He can kick it miles and although he scuffed a couple...his decision making to come out and kick and punch was excellent. He looks a couple of inches taller to me which shows that he is becoming more confident. Sign him up before Barnsley do.

Well pleased with that second half and there was something about that goal celebration by the team that said "team spirit"

I don't think we are good enough to go up...but a top 8 finish will be good enough for me to push on next season.

I thought it was a forgettable first half but Portsmouth got their tactics right, pushed us back and forced us to go long because we had no real drive in central midfield.
    We started the second half on the front foot and looked threatening from the kick off. Warney's substitutions were spot on and increased the pressure on the Portsmouth goal culminating in a late, late goal and fully deserved win.
    Nearly everyone did well today and it was difficult to pick a man of the match, between Vaulks and Forde for me.
    Personally I would start with Smith and Taylor on Tuesday night instead of Yates and Williams.
    I still think we need a central midfielder to replace Frecks, preferably someone who can drive forward and make things happen.
    Good result though and a deserved reward for keeping going right to the end.
    UTM.

Was feeling very fustrated watching the game as I thought Portsmouth were poor and where there for the taking but we just didn't have that bit of quality to turn the draw into a win.

So to get the win was great and no better way to win a game than in injury time.

Great effort by the lads today and in the end got exactly what we deserved as the stats show we dominated the game in the appropriate areas.
    Last edited by kevthemaltbymiller; 20-01-2018 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwru View Post
    Apart from Yates & Williams whose no threat on the left rest of the side battled well. It's not midfield It's out wide were we haven't got it right. Do you want grafters or wingers? Looked better when Newell came on. Taylor looks like he's chomping on the bit. Smith start him Tuesday. Pick a side to win the game from the start.

Know I said Newell had gone but I go on the state of play. Today when he came on we looked better on the left.
    I’m guessing here but I imagine warne is trying to get Smith fit enough to play him a full 90 mins. Remember when he was at bury he always came off bench. Il be shocked if he plays 90 mins this season.

My guess is soon as proctor is back smith will start then proctor will be his sub

First half our defence were all over the place, Portsmouth ought to have been 2 goals in front.
    The Millers forward line in the first half needed a big front man to lead the attack, again Yates failed, why Warne & his sidekick Barker can't see that Yates is not up to beating opposing centre backs is astonishing.
    I thought Williams was having a decent game,taking him off was wrong, Ball had the touches but needed the influx of Smith to give him the ammunition to get the goals, when Smith came on the Millers forward line come a live.
    Warne needs to drop Yates for Tuesday's game, & start with either Smith or JCH.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast