+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: We need a centre forward..!

I seem to remember a stint in the premier league Bt when Ings played, he had a very dry spell squandering many chances in front of goal and causing us to be relegated tbh.
    Not sure Ings is the answer

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    We still need a centre forward.
    Why ?

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post
    I seem to remember a stint in the premier league Bt when Ings played, he had a very dry spell squandering many chances in front of goal and causing us to be relegated tbh.
    Not sure Ings is the answer
    I think Ings had got a bit too far in front of himself towards the end of his time with us.

Now that he is deemed surplus to requirements at Anfield and seemingly fully fit, I think a fully focussed Ingsy would be fcuking marvellous.

Towards the end of December I thought a move back to us might happen, now I think it is off the burner unless Barnes is persuaded to leave with a multi-million £££££ move to Chelsea!

I would love him to be playing in the position where Hendrick is employed now.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Why ?
    We dont score enough goals-

Without this striker that we 'need' we've scored enough goals to be 8th in the league, and without his goals we've been as high as 4th. Doesn't seem like we need one to me, unless of course you think we should competing to get in and stay in the top six, then of course we do need another striker, plus Heaton back, two full backs, a centre half, a couple of centre mids and another winger as well. But if you just want to be realistic and settle for mid table security, we're fine as we are.

if we had a goalscorer we might have got a point against Liverpool or man utd- we cant rely on what we have done but have to affect what we are doing now- quite simply we dont convert enough of our few chances- we dont want to carry on losing games by the odd goal do we?- safety is all we want forget about the top 6

Without this striker that we 'need' we've scored enough goals to be 8th in the league, and without his goals we've been as high as 4th. Doesn't seem like we need one to me, unless of course you think we should competing to get in and stay in the top six....
    I think - for the first half of the season - the majority of our PL competition were dire....also fairly useless at making goals and were defensively weak - so wasn't that difficult for us to pick up points - us having a strong defence and capable of the odd goal etc.
    Second half of the season - teams should have lifted their game and figured others games - so strengthened....If we dont follow suit and improve ourselves, our weak areas....then we drop points, So to me....it's just the normal way to go,do the best we can and we improve ourselves whenever we can.... .

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post
    I think - for the first half of the season - the majority of our PL competition were dire....also fairly useless at making goals and were defensively weak - so wasn't that difficult for us to pick up points - us having a strong defence and capable of the odd goal etc.
    Second half of the season - teams should have lifted their game and figured others games - so strengthened....If we dont follow suit and improve ourselves, our weak areas....then we drop points, So to me....it's just the normal way to go,do the best we can and we improve ourselves whenever we can.... .

Good call Norder

Quote Originally Posted by In Dyche We Trust View Post
    if we had a goalscorer we might have got a point against Liverpool or man utd- we cant rely on what we have done but have to affect what we are doing now- quite simply we dont convert enough of our few chances- we dont want to carry on losing games by the odd goal do we?- safety is all we want forget about the top 6
    If, might, ID, if Mee hadn't lost out to Lukaku on the halfway line we might not have conceded that goal. Does that mean we need another centre-half ?

I don't agree that we don't convert enough of our chances, the stats say we do, we're 16th in the league for total shots, we're 14th for shots on target, 16th for goals scored. Our strikers are just as efficient as others in the league with the chances they get, they just don't get the same number of chances as most others, but that's not down to them, it's the way we're set up and the way we play. But it doesn't matter anyway, Southampton have scored 5 more than us, Stoke have scored 6 more, but they're both in the bottom 4, we're 8th, 6 pnts clear of the 9th team. Of course if we could sign a striker better than what we have I won't be complaining but we don't actually need one.
    I don't see the point in spending big money on one in this window either, to improve on what we have we'd have to lay out £20m plus and for what ? It won't save us from relegation because we're safe anyway, it won't get us into the top 6 or Europa League, that's gone, so we spend £20m and we 'might' finish a couple of places higher and get a couple of milion more place money. It just doesn't make any economic sense.

We have Wood to come back, Wells should be approaching full match fitness, let's see how these two go to the end of the season and if they're not up to it, get the cheque book out then, when there are far more and better strikers available, right now it's just a waste of money.
    Last edited by sinkov; 22-01-2018 at 10:51 PM.

If, might, ID, if Mee hadn't lost out to Lukaku on the halfway line we might not have conceded that goal. Does that mean we need another centre-half ?

I don't agree that we don't convert enough of our chances, the stats say we do, we're 16th in the league for total shots, we're 14th for shots on target, 16th for goals scored. Our strikers are just as efficient as others in the league with the chances they get, they just don't get the same number of chances as most others, but that's not down to them, it's the way we're set up and the way we play. But it doesn't matter anyway, Southampton have scored 5 more than us, Stoke have scored 6 more, but they're both in the bottom 4, we're 8th, 6 pnts clear of the 9th team. Of course if we could sign a striker better than what we have I won't be complaining but we don't actually need one.
    I don't see the point in spending big money on one in this window either, to improve on what we have we'd have to lay out £20m plus and for what ? It won't save us from relegation because we're safe anyway, it won't get us into the top 6 or Europa League, that's gone, so we spend £20m and we 'might' finish a couple of places higher and get a couple of milion more place money. It just doesn't make any economic sense.

We have Wood to come back, Wells should be approaching full match fitness, let's see how these two go to the end of the season and if they're not up to it, get the cheque book out then, when there are far more and better strikers available, right now it's just a waste of money.
    you make some good points but facts are we have not scored in 2 games and goals can win matches- better strikers will convert those few chances and 16th for goals scored is not good enough- Wood Wells and Walters are not the answer- we have lost the edge and where we won by the odd goal we are losing now- our winless run is getting longer- its beyond just being safe

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)