+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a supporter?

Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    I may have been on the old caithness buses with you at one time or another,as you will know there are alot of dons fans up north but making games regularly isnt easy
    What's happened to the auld Watten crew? Nae buses at all now?

I did hear there was a fall out a few years back between two of the main players.

Still see a few of the worthies at the County game usually.

Nae a fan of the notion of supporter in a financial sense. Tickets and just about everything cost far too much nowadays.

Anyone who’s ever left the house at 8am and travelled to Dundee/Ross County/Parkhead...sung for the team. That’s a supporter..regardless of costs etc

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    F'uck sake, I didn't invent the word.

I did say it have come to mean something different but there's no denying the original definition.
    The English dictionary definition;

A person who is actively interested in and wishes success for a particular football team.

Going to a tough school when everyone else "supports" rangers means I've invested plenty already.

EDIT - actually that sounds a bit ****y. Sorry donsdaft.
    Last edited by Aldo1983; 21-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Going to a tough school when everyone else "supports" rangers means I've invested plenty already.
    Dumbarton Academy for 6 of Rangers 9 in a row. Shyte fun

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Dumbarton Academy for 6 of Rangers 9 in a row. Shyte fun
    I had 6yrs of 9 in a row as well.

The English dictionary definition is a modern twist.

Language evolves however, I accept that.

What must never EVER be accepted though is that the second verse ( football version) of the Northern Lights ends with a tame mumbled repeat of " down at Pitodrie "

It's a proud belted out loud " I've been a SUPPORTER since"

.....and don't you f'uckin forget it.

I had 6yrs of 9 in a row as well.
    That’s why I flip my lid when Milne publicly bums up the Huns. It makes a mockery of the effort I put in during those years

In the space of about five years I've gone from Top Red to part timer.

It's nae one thing.....even when I was still a Top Red there had been a drop off.

I was a season ticket holder for donkeys, close to a couple of decades, travelling week in week out, home and away, from Inverness then Easter Ross.

I do recall something died inside me a wee bit the day of that QoS semi.
    That game affected me very, very badly.

I had a season ticket for a few seasons after that....but that was the start of the drop off.

I kept my season during the Craigie B era, but, about that time, I had a drop off in my personal financial circumstances, which made the travel from the Highlands a stretch regularly.

For a couple of seasons I never got the good of my ST, but still renewed by way of a "donation" of sorts, but straitened finances meant that wasn't really an option going forward.

I then dropped to a six gamer then to nothing, theoretically "picking and choosing".
    This has now dropped to this season when I've been to one game....County in Dingwall (my second will be a week on Wednesday, same game).

I went to my first game at the Pitt October 1970, this could end up being the first season since then that I don 't take in game in AB24.

Maybe not, we'll see how things pan out.

As others have said, there's been a myriad of reasons for the drop off.

Finances have been a bigee, the desire to not lose a whole Saturday from my busy weekends, the general bent-ness of Scottish Football, the pandering to, and soft treatment given to, Sevco following r*****s' death, our esteemed chairman's espousal on that vile organisation....all factors.

Oddly, I wouldn't say the quality of the product was a major factor, my most Top-Red period, and some of the most fun I've had following the Dons,was the comically poor Skovdahl era. (To Killie midweek.......the lot.)

I guess we all change as time goes on, don't get me wrong, I love the club and will to the day I die, but real world stuff and personal changes have seen that love less overtly manifested.

It may swing back in the future, but I canna see it happening in the short term.

I always enjoyed the Skovdahl era too. Not sure why. Maybe because all the pressure was off by that point.

I always enjoyed the Skovdahl era too. Not sure why. Maybe because all the pressure was off by that point.
    It was just a bloody-minded, wilful up yours to the rest of Scotland.

I remember celebrating a 0-0 away at Livi like it was a win when we had a boy (Darren Young mebbe?) sent aff early, there was this kind of Dunkirk spirit crept in as we followed utter p!sh through thin and thinner.

But it was our p!sh and the rest of the world could take a flying f u c k to itself.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast