+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a supporter?

Quote Originally Posted by nice1simmy View Post
    I may have been on the old caithness buses with you at one time or another,as you will know there are alot of dons fans up north but making games regularly isnt easy
    Like I say in original post, it wasn't a dig at any one person or any set of fans in particular especially not folk like yourself who are putting in substantial travelling time to cheer on the dons. I just find it a bit annoying talking to folk (like work colleagues etc) who show no interest in going to games of teams they claim to support.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacman1903 View Post
    At first glance i read "salted camel liquor". I was intrigued. (booze is another thing i miss in my month away)

Do you remember our crowd fluctuations ever not happening as i cant in 28 years. Its just the norm. Sad but true. It wont change whether at Pittodrie, Westhill or wherever.

For the record i know heaps of "dandies" who never set foot in Pittodrie or away games. They live in town or the shire and make absolutley no effort to go. But will text about Hampdung if we get there. W@nks and cant be classed as supporters in my eyes.
    I have a few friends and family members who class themselves as Dons fans but the only time they have been to Pittodrie in the last 20 years is for the 2 Man Utd friendlies.

I always tell them they are glory hunting Man Utd fans because they are.

I would also add I hate Milne, think the club make easy decisions poorly or not at all, do nothing to make the game fairer, hate the manager, think the new stadium plan is barking mad, think supporters wanting the stadium there are barking mad, hate the blue strip don’t like cheering on Celtic players, utterly despise the loyalty point scheme, lack of PATG & if I hear stand free one more time I think I’ll launch myself off the Erskine Bridge.

Apart from that, everything’s peachy. COYFR

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    Like I say in original post, it wasn't a dig at any one person or any set of fans in particular especially not folk like yourself who are putting in substantial travelling time to cheer on the dons. I just find it a bit annoying talking to folk (like work colleagues etc) who show no interest in going to games of teams they claim to support.
    Well i've worked with dons 'fans' in the past who live in the city and iv phoned them up before i come down to a home match and see if they want to meet up for a pint and go to the game,we meet for a pint but they make excuses not to go to the game,dont understand it tbh,maybe they dont realise what they have in their doorstep and cant be fu#ked going? Dont know but its annoying as fu#k when aberdeen based fans canna be arsed going and we spend half a day travelling there and back

Quote Originally Posted by OneBrianIrvine View Post
    I guess by some folks opinions on here I am no longer a supporter.

Not been since 15/16 season. 2017 was first calendar year I've not been to a game since c1980. I've been a S/T holder for a lot of those.

TBH not one reason, ill health and concomitant () pain issues(in getting to/sitting at pittodrie)/lack of income helped to make that decision but to be honest it was the football too. Two of our party had given up previously due to cost/fitba on offer, another was fed up missing tv moved games, my dad (now in his 70's and with problematic knees) was fed up waiting on two busses mid-week. It was pretty much a group decision. We just weren't enjoying game management.

My folks would have happily bought me a ticket but the last season was a chore, combination pain/turgid fitba & honestly I think I've maybe missed it twice. I've honestly been surprised by that but it may change if my health returns 100%. I guess it may be different if I didn't have access to most games on RedTV?

So like I say not one single thing, more a combination. I suspect that goes for most.
    Down through the years I've gone to games regularly with maybe 6/7 different groups of people. Only one of those groups still goes.

Pretty sure the rest of them still thinks of themselves as supporters. I do too.
    I wouldn’t say you are any less of a supporter obi because of the reasons you gave I think that’s fair enough,I think we were all talking about people who don’t bother going and don’t have any reason not to.

I still think it’s a bit weird you don’t like the football we play now but put up with the tripe on offer for the last 20 years,surely it has been a lot worse than it is now?

I guess by some folks opinions on here I am no longer a supporter.

Not been since 15/16 season. 2017 was first calendar year I've not been to a game since c1980. I've been a S/T holder for a lot of those.

TBH not one reason, ill health and concomitant () pain issues(in getting to/sitting at pittodrie)/lack of income helped to make that decision but to be honest it was the football too. Two of our party had given up previously due to cost/fitba on offer, another was fed up missing tv moved games, my dad (now in his 70's and with problematic knees) was fed up waiting on two busses mid-week. It was pretty much a group decision. We just weren't enjoying game management.

My folks would have happily bought me a ticket but the last season was a chore, combination pain/turgid fitba & honestly I think I've maybe missed it twice. I've honestly been surprised by that but it may change if my health returns 100%. I guess it may be different if I didn't have access to most games on RedTV?

So like I say not one single thing, more a combination. I suspect that goes for most.
    Down through the years I've gone to games regularly with maybe 6/7 different groups of people. Only one of those groups still goes.

Pretty sure the rest of them still thinks of themselves as supporters. I do too.
    It’s just a definition and we could probably debate that ad infinitude.
    By my definition, `I am currently a supporter, but there have been times when I’ve just been a fan and probably will be just a fan again in the future.
    It all depends what life throws at us.
    I meant no disrespect by my own personal definition.

Maybe I'm actually a masochist? Or maybe I've focused on the fitba aspect rather than accept it's the pain...
    Anyway, no offence, but I'm not going to rehash what I don't like about DM's tenure, I've said it all before and not the day for it
    Not at all obi that’s fair enough,you are entitled to your opinion I was only wondering

Im at the other end of the world.
    Im a fan and a supporter since i buy the odd shirt and subscribe to redtv and have done for years.

The 1 time i went home , i watched us in the cup when we beat Falkirk years ago.

Travelling from the central belt on my own ( since i was brought up with hibs hearts huns and celtic fans) and it being a 10/11 hour day wasnt an option for me.
    No f"cking chance was I doing that every 2nd week.

Btw i really admire supporters who do it but i very much doubt they would go on their own week in week out without knowing anyone there.

Ive regularly watched the dons on my own. Its just not the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    What about Embassy Coupon points?
    They were for roaches

Quote Originally Posted by vasilyrats86 View Post
    agreed been there and done that.

I'd be there all the time if I lived in the area but having lived in Caithness, Febland (still made at least 7-10 games a season) and now in Fife its no easy. Does not diminish my support one iota. Plus I have watched some ****e in the 90s and 1st decade of this century.
    Speaking of you being a Fifer. I'm heading down to lino city for Raith v Albion on the 6th of Feb. Fancy a beer and conversations on Cryptic Slaughter, how Megadeth never put on a bad show and how German thrash metal is better than Bay Area thrash metal

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast