+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a supporter?

Being a "supporter" is a difficult thing to define. We all have relationships with our club but each relationship might be totally different. My own relationship involves going to virtually all matches - home, away, Europe - travelling 200 miles for home games and very rarely missing games. I am able to do this as I am retired and financially secure. Does that make me more of a supporter than some other people? Does it indicate the depth of my passion for the club or merely that I enjoy a wee trip oot and a few beers with my mates?

I disagree with almost everything Mason89 writes - loyalty points in particular - but is his passion for the club any less than mine because I go to more games? (And have LOADS more loyalty points). Not a judgement I would make or feel that it should bemade.

Defining real supporters takes you down the Green Brigade tick list route:

To be a real supporter you must:

stand at matches
    wear a green Liam Gallagher style jacket
    love palestine
    hate the british army/poppy
    vote for independence
    read james joyce
    drink guiness

Supporting any football club shouldn't be about that.

One of the saddest days I can remember whilst following The Dons was getting beat by Stennie in the cup. A few supporters were vocalising their support for recently-departed boss Willie Miller. Informing them that it was basically Willie's team that was beaten, I got a torrent of abuse about being a weegie b****** and how I should f*** off and support one of the old firm. Having lived in Aberdeen for well over 20 years at that point and certainly not being from Glasgow (or any where with a weegie accent) (Fife) was beside the point. They had their own idea as to what constituted a REAL fan and I wasn't one of them.

Stand Free indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    & if I hear stand free one more time I think I’ll launch myself off the Erskine Bridge
    Seriously ?.....Click on the link. Please.

https://www.fanchants.com>stand-free-2

Being a supporter obviously means you pay something towards the upkeep of the club.

But it's come to mean more than that and does get mixed up with fan ( fanatic?)

Anyway, one way or another it's your club, you can't change, it's in your blood.

You're dedication to the cause can ebb and flow as life takes it's various turns though.

When relationships end, you can always turn to your first love, home and away.

When there are three kids to feed and the cup game in January is just £20 too much ( despite the fact you have a season ticket) well, sometimes you just have to watch the game on the telly.

Personally I'm at a low point with going every week at the moment.
    This frightened me into buying a season ticket because I didn't want to drift away.

Maybe though, soon, my son will decide it's not too uncool to watch the game with his Da or maybe a wee lad I know well will ask his " Granda" if he can have a season ticket and come to every game.

Then maybe the exitement will return.

I look forward to it.
    Last edited by donsdaft; 21-01-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Being a "supporter" doesn't mean you pay into the club. That's utter pish.

Quote Originally Posted by redstarfk View Post
    Seriously ?.....Click on the link. Please.

https://www.fanchants.com>stand-free-2
    I’m probably going to cry myself to sleep tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    Being a "supporter" doesn't mean you pay into the club. That's utter pish.

Of course it does.

In the same sense that you would support a wife and kids.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Of course it does.

In the same sense that you would support a wife and kids.
    So my old man who can't physically go to games anymore after 80 odd years is no longer a supporter?

I think he's paid in enough to retain the title.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I think he's paid in enough to retain the title.
    If being a supporter of a team was about finance then I also support Rangers, Celtic, Hibs, Hearts etc etc etc as all these clubs and many more I've given money to when following the Dons. Maybe in the Sky tv world of today where most "supporters" never go to games my idea is outdated

F'uck sake, I didn't invent the word.

I did say it have come to mean something different but there's no denying the original definition.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast