+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rotation policy

Rotation policy

Watching that game tonight was like watching a PL team against a League 1 team. Man City have better players in every position, thanks of course to Sheikh Mansour's billions. But during it a very obvious thought occurred to me. Man City's best players start every game almost without exception, barring injuries. Every game you'll see Aguero, Sterling, De Bruynne, Walker. They might get substituted late in the game but they start.

Contrast that with NUFC and its rotation policy. It's impossible to guess who'll start. I think this has two bad effects. One is that it distorts transfer policy in that we buy lots of squad players to rotate instead of a few quality players who in my view should be played every week. The other is that players don't get used to playing with each other. Rotation might work at Real Madrid, Chelsea and Liverpool where you've got a squad of superstars but it doesn't work at NUFC.

I know we can't afford the Agueros or Coutinhos of this world but at the last window we could have bought 2 better quality players instead of 5 squad players. I fear that this window, even if some money is forthcoming, the same mistake will be made. With the sort of quality we can afford we still probably won't beat the Manchester clubs, Chelsea and Arsenal but that's not our problem. Our problem is getting beat by Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford and Bournemouth. I can't help thinking that if if we had a more settled team with a few quality additions, which we could have added in the summer, we'd be doing better.

Just my thoughts anyway and I'm sure there'll be plenty who'll disagree.

No I agree. I feel Rafa has played players, despite them not performing in previous matches. We all know who these players are.

Leicester are a good example, they have 3 maybe 4 good quality players who make them tick and the rest of the side is built around them, and unless they're not available, allways seem to play.

Unfortunately, we don't have 4 players good enough to make us tick.

I think we are close to having 3 players who make them tick, lascelles, merino and murphy, or who will in the near future

Sounds like an attempt to subtly have a dig at Rafa in a different way, but go on then...

I think it is safe to say Rafa would have asked for different players than those we ended up with.

It’s all very well saying we should have brought in 2 quality players, and we should have, but they have to offer the transfer fee and the wages to bring in the quality, and the club either cannot or will not do that... so we end up with punts on prospects like Merino, and bids in desperation as the people holding the strings couldn’t do a deal other than the likes of Joselu.

Teams like Brighton etc, they have a balanced squad and they have built them over time... we haven’t had a balanced squad for donkeys years as the transfer policy has been to focussed on making a profit, and then recently we sold off the last big value players to fund building a team for the Fizzy and we just managed to top that league with Brighton falling away at the end.

We’re desperately short of leaders of this league across the team, our captain is probably the youngest in the league FFS.

So yes, we need quality... but Fat Mike will gamble and won’t provide the fee’s and wages to bring in a couple of players who can really make the difference.

I THINK STABILITY IS THE STRENGTH OF ANY TEAM

UNDER RAFA WE DONT HAVE THAT

HE SHOULD PLAY HIS BEST TEAM AND ROTATE WHNE FATIGUED

THE MAN HASNT A CLUE AND BECAUSE OF THAT NEITHER DO THE PLAYERS

city play at a lot higher tempo than ewe do and play more games
    you can pick their side most weeks

truth is players are so fit and looked after so well playing saturday wednesday doesnt need a rotation policy

he is a dinosaur

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    I THINK STABILITY IS THE STRENGTH OF ANY TEAM

UNDER RAFA WE DONT HAVE THAT

HE SHOULD PLAY HIS BEST TEAM AND ROTATE WHNE FATIGUED

THE MAN HASNT A CLUE AND BECAUSE OF THAT NEITHER DO THE PLAYERS

city play at a lot higher tempo than ewe do and play more games
    you can pick their side most weeks

truth is players are so fit and looked after so well playing saturday wednesday doesnt need a rotation policy

he is a dinosaur
    I could pick their team most weeks offs - you just dont get it do you !

I have to disagree with Nufcian. The cost of two good players in the summer, both in transfer fees and wages, wouldn't have been more than the cost of the 5 average players we bought.

I read in the Chronicle that Rafa is looking to bring in 4 more players this month. Why? So he can rotate players even more, play them 1 game in 3 or 4? As I've said before, just get one player, the best striker we can afford either with a a full fee or loan arrangement. Our biggest problem is not scoring goals. Building up an ever bigger squad of mediocrities is not the way to keep us in the PL. So yes, I am criticising Rafa's policy. To me it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Nufcian View Post
    Sounds like an attempt to subtly have a dig at Rafa in a different way, but go on then...

I think it is safe to say Rafa would have asked for different players than those we ended up with.

It’s all very well saying we should have brought in 2 quality players, and we should have, but they have to offer the transfer fee and the wages to bring in the quality, and the club either cannot or will not do that... so we end up with punts on prospects like Merino, and bids in desperation as the people holding the strings couldn’t do a deal other than the likes of Joselu.

Teams like Brighton etc, they have a balanced squad and they have built them over time... we haven’t had a balanced squad for donkeys years as the transfer policy has been to focussed on making a profit, and then recently we sold off the last big value players to fund building a team for the Fizzy and we just managed to top that league with Brighton falling away at the end.

We’re desperately short of leaders of this league across the team, our captain is probably the youngest in the league FFS.

So yes, we need quality... but Fat Mike will gamble and won’t provide the fee’s and wages to bring in a couple of players who can really make the difference.
    Agreed Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by occult View Post
    I have to disagree with Nufcian. The cost of two good players in the summer, both in transfer fees and wages, wouldn't have been more than the cost of the 5 average players we bought.

I read in the Chronicle that Rafa is looking to bring in 4 more players this month. Why? So he can rotate players even more, play them 1 game in 3 or 4? As I've said before, just get one player, the best striker we can afford either with a a full fee or loan arrangement. Our biggest problem is not scoring goals. Building up an ever bigger squad of mediocrities is not the way to keep us in the PL. So yes, I am criticising Rafa's policy. To me it doesn't make sense.
    correct
    people say we have a team of fizzy players

but rafa is buying them

and then when he does buy players he doesnt give them time to gel in a settled side

no wonder they all go backwards

im sure in a settled side playing to a system they would all improve or indded look better than they currently do

technically most of our squad are good players

take diame dummet joselwho out of that statment

but if you are in and out like a fiddlers elbow you wont get settled and in the cases of those who havent played prem footy get used to the speed of the game etc this is why i dont think we are improving as we should as the season goes on

This team will never improve under Rafa, except in the art of grafting and defensive headless chicken running.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)