+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Notts game?

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    My first full season too and a good season it was where Big Tony came to the rescue after Stan Newsham had got injured.

Strangely I don't remember details of games and I suspect that I only really started going in the second half of the season when I worked out I could get there on my own from Hucknall despite not yet being a ****ager (I had to travel daily to West Bridgford for school so I knew the way ).
    Wow, that was one hell of a trek to school as well as to see Notts Old_pie. Good onye. It's a wonder you didn't finish up supporting Mansfield to save on the bus fare.
    It was mid March in the 1959/60 season when Big Tone came in for Stan Newsham. He bagged 8 goals before the end of the season.
    The following season after being promoted to Division 3 he only missed one game and was top scorer with 27 goals. The mid 60s were a tough few years to watch Notts particularly as Forest were doing well in Div 1 (they were runners up in 1966/7) but me, my dad, uncle and cousin used to go to nearly all the Notts home games.The weren't many highlights but I did see Jeff Astle and Tony Hateley score some memorable headed goals for the 'Pies.
    The end of the 60s saw things start to improve with Les Bradd and Don Masson in the side and Sir Jimmy at the helm. Then Big Tone returned and the pendulum began to swing back to Meadow Lane. Shame we couldn't persuade Jeff Astle to come back too.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    The first game I can remember was on Dec 5th 1959 when Notts played Bath City in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup...... Kick Off was 2:15. I don't know why unless Forest were at home too that Saturday.
    Fword were away. 2:15pm was the standard kick-off time either side of Xmas in those days as the majority of clubs still didn't have floodlights. Notts did have them from 1953 onwards and would normally kick-off at 3pm by then but I suspect the BBC requested the early kick-off because the power of those original lights would not have been sufficient for filming in.

Can't remember the side,but it was the season Notts had Tommy Lawton & Jackie Sewell. I watched most games that season from the Kiddies Enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    Wow, that was one hell of a trek to school as well as to see Notts Old_pie. Good onye. It's a wonder you didn't finish up supporting Mansfield to save on the bus fare.
    Me Dad weren't daft - he never mentioned Mansfailed and I didn't know they existed until they dropped into the 3rd division a couple of seasons later. Big club in those days, 2nd tier and all that.

Jeez over 16,000 so see them give us a 4-0 drubbing at Field Mill and (only) 14,000 to see us get a bit of revenge a few weeks later.

I certainly remember some of those games, and classy winger Mike Barber who got himself injured out of the game not long after joining us. Despite Astle we went down and I think that was the beginning of the end of a core set of supporters from the Lawton era.

Loiretchersteve

Quote Originally Posted by adlestropred View Post
    Can't remember the side,but it was the season Notts had Tommy Lawton & Jackie Sewell. I watched most games that season from the Kiddies Enclosure.
    Can't remember the exact year but must have been in early sixties. Stood on the old kop with my brother in law. Match was against Wrexham and we won 3.1 i think. About that time went on a school trip from William Crane junior school to the cattle market and then a tour of meadow lane where i shook hands with Eddie Lowe the then manager.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345