+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Notts game?

First Notts game?

Following on from the nostalgic silk scarf thread but minus the abuse (well hopefully)....

What was your first Notts game?

Mine was away at Southend, 1971 and it was a 1-0 defeat. Cant remember anything other than my Dad hiring a cushion for me to sit on.

This was in the days when not many girls went to football, but we went all over the place with Notts from then on, including a match at the Den whilst at the height of its infamy, no idea what season that was, but do recall that some supporters laid a wreath on the pitch in memory of some Millwall fans who had lost their lives in a crash. Can vaguely remember us having to leave the ground running, which I guess was standard for away fans at the time.

Oh yeah, and I had a silk scarf too

Tranmere at the Lane spring of 1973, along with 23,612 others to witness the 4-1 win! Jon Nixon, Kevin Randall x2, David Needham.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 606
Size:  45.2 KB

Let the promotion party commence

Name:  1973-04-28Promotion.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  46.3 KB
    Last edited by SwalePie; 21-01-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Exeter old div. 4 1959

Southampton at home 74, I can name the team without a seconds thought, 3-2 Notts.

The Millwall lads who died in the car crash were traveling to an away game at Southampton which the lions won 3-2, sometime in the 70's possibly early 80's don't know why but that sticks in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by maddogslater View Post
    Southampton at home 74, I can name the team without a seconds thought, 3-2 Notts.

The Millwall lads who died in the car crash were traveling to an away game at Southampton which the lions won 3-2, sometime in the 70's possibly early 80's don't know why but that sticks in my mind.

Their 3-2 win at Southampton was on Saturday 11th February 1978, so the wreath on the pitch that Cher mentioned would have been the following weekend in the FA Cup 5th round.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Following on from the nostalgic silk scarf thread but minus the abuse (well hopefully)....

Mine was away at Southend, 1971 and it was a 1-0 defeat. Cant remember anything other than my Dad hiring a cushion for me to sit on.

This was in the days when not many girls went to football, but we went all over the place with Notts from then on, including a match at the Den whilst at the height of its infamy, no idea what season that was, but do recall that some supporters laid a wreath on the pitch in memory of some Millwall fans who had lost their lives in a crash. Can vaguely remember us having to leave the ground running, which I guess was standard for away fans at the time.

I had the lovely pleasure of visiting the "den" with my late father on several occasions.
    It's was scary for many a Notts fan.
    There wasn't to many present at the game from a Notts point of view
    Looking across between the rails that segregated the crowd,many with balaclavas on staring the living day lights out of me.
    Think Vinter scored that game.
    The walk back to the car was an experience.
    Dad politely said son,zip your coat up and hide your scarf for a while.
    Also anyone remember the man city game where we got whoooooped.
    Think 5-1??
    They threw fireworks for pretty much the entire game...
    Also the stoke game away where the snow nearly called the game off.
    Was live on the Telly.

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post

Snap and snap. Southend away 66/67, 1-0 defeat (or win because my Dad, a Notts fans since the 1920s took me and Southend were local so I supported them). Millwall was 77/78, FA Cup 5th round and we lost 2-1. The wreath was for 8 Millwall fans killed on the way to Southampton the week before. Didn't have to run but we did get bottles thrown into the stand and they were smashing all around us. I was with my brother who was a teacher nearby, and he knew some of their fans. I guess those on the train and coaches had a harder time getting away.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Their 3-2 win at Southampton was on Saturday 11th February 1978, so the wreath on the pitch that Cher mentioned would have been the following weekend in the FA Cup 5th round.
    was at that game sitting in the main stand, absolute mayhem surrounded by millwall fans battling the 'old bill' with bottles and boots, the wait at new cross for the football special was an experience. Cant remember much about the game, a chambers penalty ? someone Walker racing through to fire the second in low then a Sammy chapman header for Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Mac pie View Post
    I had the lovely pleasure of visiting the "den" with my late father on several occasions.
    It's was scary for many a Notts fan.
    There wasn't to many present at the game from a Notts point of view
    Looking across between the rails that segregated the crowd,many with balaclavas on staring the living day lights out of me.
    Think Vinter scored that game.
    The walk back to the car was an experience.
    Dad politely said son,zip your coat up and hide your scarf for a while.
    Also anyone remember the man city game where we got whoooooped.
    Think 5-1??
    They threw fireworks for pretty much the entire game...
    Also the stoke game away where the snow nearly called the game off.
    Was live on the Telly.
    I think my first was a home game in 1969ish against York City. I'd be about 11 at the time. prior to that I'd mainly watched Mansfield, as that was easy as a youngster from Blidworth.
    As a student in Sheffield I went with a City fan to the 5-1 drubbing at Manchester City. Blimey, Maine Road was a rough place. Sat in the main stand and he lent me a blue & white scarf, but even then I was "outed". We had to run for the car. Dennis Tueart scored 4 in an amazing performance. Then when we got back it was on the telly!

The (Millwall) fighting wasn't too bad viewed from the bit of the Main Stand I was in (I'm alright Jack). I remember getting in there early and seeing a couple of hundred fans congregating behind the goal. I was thinking F-Troop or Treatment? Then they started chanting County. Not for long mind. I do remember one Millwall fan taking about 10 coppers on, one of whom got his helmet knocked off.

Here's something about the crash victims. The wreath was in the shape of an 8, IIRC. The event itself happened way before the Internet. The remarkable thing was there were 8 in one car. I've done that myself, but only with 2 in the boot.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/5638...crash_victims/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast