+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First Notts game?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    24th February 1990 - Division 3 as was - Notts County 1 Huddersfield Town 0 with a last-minute Gary Lund winner.
    That was the game where they time wasted throughout the game, it would even be embarrassing nowadays. Including a guy being stretchered off, then rolling off the stretcher as he was carried down the touch line and running back on the pitch! I can see Gary Lund stabbing the ball into the top corner now.....incredible how you remember some games......

What a great read this thread is 🙂

Absolutely. I’m not sure what my first game was. But my uncle took me down the lane, (my dad was never really into football) told me tales of all the great players of the past.....and before I saw a ball kicked I was hooked.....

Later I was a junior red (my Mum signed me up by mistake) and junior magpie, and went to both forest and county home games for a number of years with my schoolmate redback.

It’s probably difficult for the younger supporters to understand what it was like before seating in a heaving county road or Trent end where you could travel 20 meters upon a goal being scored. In county road the stand really did bounce with the chants!

Pissing against a wall painted white and drinking bovril (not at the same time)

I’m sure all clubs are the same, but Notts seemed to me to attract more “characters” than the reds. You could hear individuals “witty” shouts. You always stood in the same area with the same folk around.

And some folk stick in the memory, like the chap who used to shout “come on Geoffrey pike” when he wasn’t playing, and even after he left us!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Don_ORiordan View Post
    Absolutely. I’m not sure what my first game was. But my uncle took me down the lane, (my dad was never really into football) told me tales of all the great players of the past.....and before I saw a ball kicked I was hooked.....

Later I was a junior red (my Mum signed me up by mistake) and junior magpie, and went to both forest and county home games for a number of years with my schoolmate redback.

It’s probably difficult for the younger supporters to understand what it was like before seating in a heaving county road or Trent end where you could travel 20 meters upon a goal being scored. In county road the stand really did bounce with the chants!

Pissing against a wall painted white and drinking bovril (not at the same time)

I’m sure all clubs are the same, but Notts seemed to me to attract more “characters” than the reds. You could hear individuals “witty” shouts. You always stood in the same area with the same folk around.

And some folk stick in the memory, like the chap who used to shout “come on Geoffrey pike” when he wasn’t playing, and even after he left us!

I remember him well ...

Quote Originally Posted by chalky_ncfc View Post
    Bloody hell,I'm surprised that you can be bothered coming over with a record like that
    I dof my cap to you sir
    Ha ha I know bud but hey once a pie always a pie I have saw quite a few victories on the road so its not all bad.

My first game. Johnny Haynes, who had made his England debut the previous year, scored a hat-trick in a 4-3 win for Fulham.

I bought the programme some years ago, on eBay.

Name:  1955 Notts v Fulham.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  46.7 KB

Talking of Notts v Fulham, here's what happened when Notts met Bobby Moore, George Best and Rodney Marsh!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egdiijeJWsg

The first game I can remember was on Dec 5th 1959 when Notts played Bath City in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup. I think I went to the previous home game before (vs Gillingham) but don't remember it as well as the Cup game. Notts lost 1-0 in front of nearly 26,000 and I was gutted, more so because it was on Match of the Day that night. I was 9 years old and my dad used to get me to stand in the "pen" which was a separate fenced area for kids behind the goal at the Kop end. Like 60YearsAPie I bought the programme off ebay a few years back and was delighted to find a pink ticket stub inside. It was 4/6d to sit in the Wing Stand Block A. Kick Off was 2:15. I don't know why unless Forest were at home too that Saturday.
    We were promoted back to Division 3 at the end of that season finishing second to Walsall and scoring 107 goals including a 7-1 win against Crystal Palace.

Quote Originally Posted by IluvNotts View Post
    The first game I can remember was on Dec 5th 1959 when Notts played Bath City in the 2nd Round of the FA Cup. I think I went to the previous home game before (vs Gillingham) but don't remember it as well as the Cup game. Notts lost 1-0 in front of nearly 26,000 and I was gutted, more so because it was on Match of the Day that night. I was 9 years old and my dad used to get me to stand in the "pen" which was a separate fenced area for kids behind the goal at the Kop end. Like 60YearsAPie I bought the programme off ebay a few years back and was delighted to find a pink ticket stub inside. It was 4/6d to sit in the Wing Stand Block A. Kick Off was 2:15. I don't know why unless Forest were at home too that Saturday.
    We were promoted back to Division 3 at the end of that season finishing second to Walsall and scoring 107 goals including a 7-1 win against Crystal Palace.
    My first full season too and a good season it was where Big Tony came to the rescue after Stan Newsham had got injured.

Strangely I don't remember details of games and I suspect that I only really started going in the second half of the season when I worked out I could get there on my own from Hucknall despite not yet being a ****ager (I had to travel daily to West Bridgford for school so I knew the way ).

Some great stories on here!

I can't remember the fixture of my first game, but one detail pinpoints it at the tail end of the 91-92 season. I sat next to a nice man with red hair who asked politely to borrow my programme. My friends were in awe and told me this was Tommy Johnson - the club's top goalscorer!

The fact that he was in the stands means he may have been about to sign for Derby, but I can;t say for sure. That brush with stardom had me hooked though - for my next game I made sure to bring an autograph book!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast