+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Notts game?

Notts 1 - 1 Wimbledon.

1992, top division. Had to leave early as it was a school night and I was only a nipper.

24th February 1990 - Division 3 as was - Notts County 1 Huddersfield Town 0 with a last-minute Gary Lund winner.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    24th February 1990 - Division 3 as was - Notts County 1 Huddersfield Town 0 with a last-minute Gary Lund winner.
    Remember that one well. Warnock’s team had a nice habit of getting last minute winners.

Mine was v West Ham, Nov 1978. Won 1-0 with a Rayo penno.

I’m sure there was a bit of a fire in the main stand, maybe against Luton, at around about the same time. I don’t think we were even evacuated, those were the days before bloody elf and safety gone mad. Anyone confirm?

September or October 1971 - can't remember the exact match but I do remember the 6 - 0 v Newport on 20th November. I remember leaving the ground and thinking - that'll show Bournemouth (who seemed to be big rivals) only to discover they'd scored 11 when Ted MacDougall scored 9 of them.

I also had a silk scarf!

So interesting reading all this, thank you.

Who else was at the away match at Palace when we won 4-1? I've just looked up the date and it was '73. Despite the fact that I was a child, we went to that one too. My Dad decided that it would be a good move to go in one of the home stands (seated) to avoid any trouble. His plan would have worked except that he was unable to stop himself jumping up and yelling when we scored. Four times. That was another day with a rapid exit. God knows what my Mum must have thought of all this.

Was the Man City a cup game? If it was, then I was at that one. We stayed overnight as it was so far from home in Cambridge. Those were the days when the only way to keep up with Notts news as a fan in exile was to pay to have the Football Post sent out to you each week.

First time for me was around 1955, Notts v Barnsley....My uncle came down from Barnsley (Barnsley supporter) He worked in a pit up there. Think he come down to see if he could get a job in one of the Nottingham pits to work with my dad and granddad.... We all went to the match, recall when we walked through the old Meadows the three of them ducked into a pub and left me outside with a bottle of lemonade and packet of Smith's crisps with the blue packet of salt in it....this was to become a regular stop in the future when I went to the matches with my dad...

The match finished 2-2 can't recall who played or scored but it was in the days of Carver, Roby, Bradley, Russell and Wylie....Think Bert Loxley was around then too.... Also believe we played the reds that season, we beat them over at their ground but they turned the tables on us at our place.....

Oh my uncle John decided not to move down to Nottm he went the opposite way, up to the North East near Newcastle....

Quote Originally Posted by cher1 View Post
    Who else was at the away match at Palace when we won 4-1? I've just looked up the date and it was '73.
    I was there, and the memories are still vivid of one of my favourite away games. We had just gone up from Division 3, they had just come down from Division 1 (League 1 and the Premiership for any youngsters). I remember it was the opening fixture on a very hot day, and they were the 'champagne' club of the division with the flamboyant Malcolm Allison (famed for his cigar and fedora image) in charge. I travelled down to Selhurst Park fearing a battering, as David Needham was suspended so local ****ager David McVay made his debut at centre back. We struggled badly for the first 30 minutes, with Don Rogers putting them in front. But then something magical happened - a trademark Don Masson free kick was met by a Brian Stubbs header that was more powerful than most shots! We grew in confidence, Palace fell apart, and Masson took control of the game. In the second half a couple of goals from Kevin Randall and one from Mick Vinter gave us an emphatic and well-deserved victory. It was games like this that made me keep the faith in the dark days.

Unfortunately, I can't remember my first game. It think it was an evening game some time towards the latter end of the 1970/71 season, and I was totally hooked from then on. I probably only missed 3 or 4 games, home or away from then until I got married in the 80s.

ps I never, ever wore a silk scarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    First time for me was around 1955, Notts v Barnsley....My uncle came down from Barnsley (Barnsley supporter) He worked in a pit up there. Think he come down to see if he could get a job in one of the Nottingham pits to work with my dad and granddad.... We all went to the match, recall when we walked through the old Meadows the three of them ducked into a pub and left me outside with a bottle of lemonade and packet of Smith's crisps with the blue packet of salt in it....this was to become a regular stop in the future when I went to the matches with my dad...

The match finished 2-2 can't recall who played or scored but it was in the days of Carver, Roby, Bradley, Russell and Wylie....Think Bert Loxley was around then too.... Also believe we played the reds that season, we beat them over at their ground but they turned the tables on us at our place.....

Oh my uncle John decided not to move down to Nottm he went the opposite way, up to the North East near Newcastle....
    A year before me but mine was a friendly/testimonial and I didn't start league games for a couple of more years.

The page you want is:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/...0s.html#195556

Am sure most of you are already aware of UTM's brilliant website, but just in case anyone has missed it, you can look up most matches on it by going to the page linked below then clicking on the football next to the season.

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/utm/maggies04.html

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    A year before me but mine was a friendly/testimonial and I didn't start league games for a couple of more years.

The page you want is:

http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/...0s.html#195556
    The awful thing is I cant remember, I was never interested in football until my mate took me to Notts, the first game was when Jimmy had just become manager, after that, it was a longtime life of love for my team.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast