+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 5th Scottish Cup round draw: Dundee or Inverness v Motherwell

5th Scottish Cup round draw: Dundee or Inverness v Motherwell

Motherwell have been given an away trip in the fifth round of the Scottish Cup. We're off to Dundee or Inverness. - External Link

The draw could have been worse or a lot better.

Our tie is a fairly meh one but if we progress and there's no shocks, the quarter-finals will offer two ties we'd fancy winning, a 50-50 v Killie and four we'd be clear second favourites in on current form. But a lot can change in a month or two.

It's not the worst draw we could have got but it's by no means the best either. Just what is it with us and drawing fellow top flight sides in Cups? If it is to be Dundee it'll be tough yet could go either way though Inverness away will be rotten for us. I don't think we've ever beaten them in the Scottish Cup, I can remember three losses and two of them came when they were in the lower leagues. That game where Barry Wilson lobbed Marshall from 40 odd yards in the first minute at Fir Park still gives me nightmares. We could still be playing that particular match to this day and we still wouldn't have scored.

You're right we've lost 3/3 v them in the cup though they were only lower league on the Barry Wilson day, which was a hideous performance even by our cup standards. The semi-finals that year were ICT, Celtic, Livi and Dunfermline...Livi had won the LC earlier in the season and Dunfermline were fourth so it's not quite the golden opportunity it seems now, though it is certainly up there.

Quarter final here we come ☺

No, they were in the lower leagues when they beat us 2-0 up there in 09/10, a Monday night match when Craig Brown was our manager. I'm sure our favourite opponent Dougie Imrie scored for them that night. They were relegated the previous summer.
    Last edited by LawSteelman; 21-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Ah, you're right...I thought that was the year they went down. Brown basically threw it with a reserve side 48 hours after winning at Killie iirc.

Remember we hadn’t beat Servco in a cup semi final until this year so if it’s is Inverness we eventually play then why not put the record straight and beat them to continue our cup run. Who ever we face will be a tough cup tie. But hopefully the new signings will have had another couple of weeks under their belts and will have improved their fitness and team building.

If it's Dens I fancy us to get at least a replay out of it - ICT ??

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)