+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has Warne got the balls.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I'm going to offer another point of view here and I will start by saying I have never been a big fan of jerry Yates and have times referred to him as an empty shirt.

During this unbeaten 8 game run Yates has started in 7 of them. One of the main criticisms of him is that he runs about like a headless chicken a lot.

Maybe, just maybe this is Warne's overall plan, he then brings on impact players with fresh legs to finish of defenders that are knackered from chasing the youthful Yates about.

The stats point towards this. we have scored goals after the 89th minute 3 times in the last 4 at home. Turning a draw into a win once and defeats into draws twice.

Perhaps Warney knows what he's doing after all. Those that know me know that I have never had much positive to say about Forde either. Easily the best I have seen him play for us was on Saturday.
    Well if that's true it would be the strangest tactics I've ever heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    Wouldn’t surprise me tbh, Warney is still learning did you know

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    At last....someone on the same page as me.

I'm on your page also

To some extent we used to do that with Ryan Taylor when he was a youngster, and even Paul Haycock before that

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    To some extent we used to do that with Ryan Taylor when he was a youngster, and even Paul Haycock before that
    So have we always assumed that the opposition couldn't bring substitutes on to replace the so-called tired legs? Strange.

So have we always assumed that the opposition couldn't bring substitutes on to replace the so-called tired legs? Strange.
    Why? Do all teams play with the same tactics or do they play to their strengths?

Only two subs when Haycock was playing, which the opposition may have already used by that stage of the game. Typical subs of the time- Mendonca, Buckley and Big Stu(!). By the way, I'm not saying that it was a great tactic, I'm just saying what we did at the time.
    Pity about what happened to "Buzzer" Haycock - he eventually "clicked" in late 1987/88 (possibly playing under more conventional tactics) and had a good run of goalscoring to finish the campaign, but then got injured early in the next season and never looked the same player again. His "battering ram" type approach always meant that there was a fair chance of injury.
    Last edited by mikemiller; 22-01-2018 at 02:13 PM.

been reading a interesting thread on substitutions its about 4 years old now though it gives a insight on how important subs can/cant be depending on whos on the bench

the thread was titled, Do substitutes win games? it was taken from the 2014 premier league season questions asked were.

i wanted to know how often subs score?
    How likely is a substitutes goal to make a difference to the distribution of points at the end of the game?
    And which managers are the best at making them?

So far this season (up to 15th April), there have been 1734 substitutions in the Premier League, out of a maximum possible 1938 (89%)

The majority of substitutions are made in the last 15 minutes of games and, surprisingly, only 14% are made in the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half. This suggests that managers are prepared to wait for 15 minutes to see whether their half-time team talk has had any impact

1734 substitutions made, only 87 of them resulted in a goal, or just over 5%. Obviously some of these substitutions will have been defensive or even goalkeeper substitutes, however I am only interested in goals as a result of subs

The team having the most success at gaining goals from substitutes with 10 goals from 84 substitutions (11.90%).
    The team with the poorest goals to substitutions with only 1 goal from 88 substitutions (1.14%).

Whilst only 14% of substitutes are made between 46 & 60 minutes, the majority of substitute goals are scored by subs that are introduced in the 46th minute (9), the next optimum time to make a substitution is 68 minutes, with 6 goals coming from subs introduced at that time.

The key time for substitutes to score is within 5 minutes of them being introduced, over 29% of goals are scored in a substitutes first 5 minutes on the pitch.

Interestingly, 4 out of the top 5 teams in the impact table are in the top 5 for total substitutes used.

Therefore, my advice for the use of substitutions would be as follows:
    Use all of your substitutes, every game
    Make your first sub in the 46th minute
    If they haven’t scored within 5 minutes of coming on, replace them. In the 68th minute.

Managers will always call on substitutes to change games, even though only 5% score and only 2% have an impact on the final distribution of points. Who’d be a manager eh?
    Last edited by caytonmiller; 22-01-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Only two subs when Haycock was playing, which the opposition may have already used by that stage of the game. Typical subs of the time- Mendonca, Buckley and Big Stu(!). By the way, I'm not saying that it was a great tactic, I'm just saying what we did at the time.
    Pity about what happened to "Buzzer" Haycock - he eventually "clicked" in late 1987/88 (possibly playing under more conventional tactics) and had a good run of goalscoring to finish the campaign, but then got injured early in the next season and never looked the same player again. His "battering ram" type approach always meant that there was a fair chance of injury.
    John buckley was amazingly talented..but billy mac saw him as an impact player..the best impact player ive seen for the millers..id have started him every game..shows how wrong you can be..we won the title...only the fourth division of course, but, one of our happy moments..something whats not talked about much on here..

Lets have an honours list,

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    to start with Smith Tuesday night or will he insist with his nonsensical love in by starting Yates.

There were quite a few on here that were calling for JCH, myself included, to start against Portsmouth but yet again Yates got the nod. For all his scampering and attempting to get involved he's far from the finished article and we need players who can get in amongst other teams defences, mix it with them and win those aerial battles and Yates cannot do that yet.

I feel Yates would benefit being loaned out to a lower league club to learn his trade more and bulk up with gym work in the process. He's young and may have a lot going for him in the future but right now we need more power and strength to partner Ball.
    Well done Mr Warne for listening to Brin. Sometimes us fans know a thing or two.

You've got to admire Yates' enthusiasm when he came on as he didn't let it effect him not starting.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast