+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: if you were a club owner

if you were a club owner

say you owned the toon
    a new owner

would you appoint a director of footy

how much of turnover would you give towards the first team transfer wages etc

how much would you give towards th development side of footy

would you impose a percentage of local lads /english lads playing for the first team in say 4 seasons

what would you do to make the fans feel more connected

would you as an owner look to get your investment back and if so how and over how long

would you as an owner pledge to keep putting money in

would you as an owner look to make the fans shareholders in the club

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post

would you impose a percentage of local lads /english lads playing for the first team in say 4 seasons
    I definitely think this is the sort of thing the FA/Premier League should do. Would put more onus on clubs to develop players rather than just go for a quick fix by buying someone from abroad. Would imagine it would be too restrictive for current European employment law, though.

i was just saying as someone who may want to bring the club back to the people

i would i would say that within 4 years at least 5 of the match day squad were to be home grown lads or acadamy lads

you have to set targets and when you see the amount spent on development i would want a return

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    i was just saying as someone who may want to bring the club back to the people

i would i would say that within 4 years at least 5 of the match day squad were to be home grown lads or acadamy lads

you have to set targets and when you see the amount spent on development i would want a return
    I forget who it was, maybe Beckenbauer that came out and said the homegrown rule in Germany is why they've been doing so well internationally and England will never win a tournament until the implement the same type of system. I personally agree. The English league should require English a certain amount of players.

That being said, I think most fans are club over country so it would be a hard shift.

Quote Originally Posted by smorgan86 View Post

That being said, I think most fans are club over country so it would be a hard shift.
    Oh, without doubt.

But, I would rather see a local lad flying down the wing or steaming in with a tackle than anyone else-that is if they were good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Oh, without doubt.

But, I would rather see a local lad flying down the wing or steaming in with a tackle than anyone else-that is if they were good enough.
    The billions Sky pump in to the prem will ensure this never happens..
    If the Bundesliga received it instead,the Jarmins would be toast so Beckenbaur can fok off...

Oh and pbolo,you think Dummet is shoite so yee can fok off as weel..

I'm all for promoting local talent, and from a business point of view it's the perfect way to push on, but it's a lot easier said than done. A quota could be disastrous if you simply don't have the quality. I wonder if there's also an issue of recruiting better youth team coaches as much as there is the players?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1981_2 View Post
    I'm all for promoting local talent, and from a business point of view it's the perfect way to push on, but it's a lot easier said than done. A quota could be disastrous if you simply don't have the quality. I wonder if there's also an issue of recruiting better youth team coaches as much as there is the players?
    Nail on the head Andy. Good youth team coaches are worth their weight in gold. They also tend to help to discover the good young uns.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    Nail on the head Andy. Good youth team coaches are worth their weight in gold. They also tend to help to discover the good young uns.
    Aye .... and we’ve got Beardsley......

I agree with Pboro on having the academy products coming though but think Andy is right with the youth coaching aspect.

I think i'd want to see progress of them coming through rather than a guaranteed 4 or 5 in the team.

I also would support changing the rules to have similar to the German ones of local players but as Ash said, Sky's money has destroyed that chance. There won't be a change till the money bubble bursts for the prem i suspect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)