+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern footballers: w@nkers

Modern footballers: w@nkers

So...had the lurgy this weekend-whatever bug has been going round my class- so today has consisted of lying on the settee looking at the pile of unmarked books and thinking 'can't face that'. But, what I have done is watch Italian, German and French football with some European cup rugby sandwiched in between.

And in every game, the amount of cheating-mainly in the form of play-acting-has been shocking. Whether it's feeling the slightest contact and throwing themselves down like they've been shot or acting like an extra in a disaster movie by writhing around like they're in the latter stages of ebola even though the contact wasn't enough to trouble a particularly fragile butterfly.

It's the sort of shite we see in our league too and, for me, it massively detracts from all of the positive stuff on show.

(I mentioned the rugby because the hits those boys take and then just get up and dust themselves down makes our sport just look embarrassing.)

Anyway, jumpers for goalposts, etc.

Bah,

rant over.

The divers and cheats need sorting out - modern football needs sorting out - Pboro and Ghost need sorting out!

In all honesty I preferred watching the likes of Peter Withe, Stuart Boam and David Batty - proper blokes. Oh for a return to the "good old days".

The thing is...there are so many good things about the modern game-I think the standard of play overall has improved, facilities are better, thugs and cloggers can't put 'reducers' in without getting punished (all that shite about good, honest 'hard-men' allowed some appalling challenges to go on), nobody pisses down the back of your leg on the Gallowgate any more, loads of footy on telly, grounds are safer, etc.

But, without getting all 'Hovis ad' on you, the atmosphere just isn't as good-partly because of all-seater grounds and partly because fans have less patience as a result of the obscene wages players are paid-the connection between 'us' and 'them' hardly exists any more (if it exists at all now) and modern footballers are a different breed from, say, 20 years ago and they haven't changed for the better.

Modern tech could help get rid of this.

Most of them are absolute *******s. With NO grasp of reality and no connection to us whatsoever.

Suppose that's the way it's gone though

It's all about money these days - Players, Managers and Owners are greedy.

They have killed the FA Cup - we don't even try to win a game in it anymore.

They have killed the old League Cup and now the "lesser" clubs don't even bother putting full strength teams out against the big boys because they know they won't win.

It's not all bad but modern footy is heading in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by biilyboy View Post
    The divers and cheats need sorting out - modern football needs sorting out - Pboro and Ghost need sorting out!

In all honesty I preferred watching the likes of Peter Withe, Stuart Boam and David Batty - proper blokes. Oh for a return to the "good old days".
    what a sad kunt you are
    why keep bringing up ghost and me
    sad pheck

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    The thing is...there are so many good things about the modern game-I think the standard of play overall has improved, facilities are better, thugs and cloggers can't put 'reducers' in without getting punished (all that shite about good, honest 'hard-men' allowed some appalling challenges to go on), nobody pisses down the back of your leg on the Gallowgate any more, loads of footy on telly, grounds are safer, etc.

But, without getting all 'Hovis ad' on you, the atmosphere just isn't as good-partly because of all-seater grounds and partly because fans have less patience as a result of the obscene wages players are paid-the connection between 'us' and 'them' hardly exists any more (if it exists at all now) and modern footballers are a different breed from, say, 20 years ago and they haven't changed for the better.
    i wouldnt say all players are like this i have coached pros from champo down and mostly they are good well grouned lads

you have to realise some of these lads dont know where or if they will be employed in 12-36 months

most aint on te figures associated with prem players

most dont live at home for days on end

i do agre in the prem etc tere isa lot of play acting but down the leagues it becomes less

i prefer footy in the fizzy down i think all round the points you make are associted mainly in the higher leagues

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    So...had the lurgy this weekend-whatever bug has been going round my class- so today has consisted of lying on the settee looking at the pile of unmarked books and thinking 'can't face that'. But, what I have done is watch Italian, German and French football with some European cup rugby sandwiched in between.

And in every game, the amount of cheating-mainly in the form of play-acting-has been shocking. Whether it's feeling the slightest contact and throwing themselves down like they've been shot or acting like an extra in a disaster movie by writhing around like they're in the latter stages of ebola even though the contact wasn't enough to trouble a particularly fragile butterfly.

It's the sort of shite we see in our league too and, for me, it massively detracts from all of the positive stuff on show.

(I mentioned the rugby because the hits those boys take and then just get up and dust themselves down makes our sport just look embarrassing.)

Anyway, jumpers for goalposts, etc.

Bah,

rant over.
    Just to slightly play devil's advocate here... I wonder if the rolling around (not the diving) part is a result of the changes to football boots. I'm saying this because I'm currently out injured myself with a broken foot due to getting studded... well, I kicked his studs to bring him down when he got through on goal... but, you know. In the good old days, I used to be able to kick someone without breaking my foot, but it seems like these new boots offer very little protection. Maybe, sometimes at least, there's genuine pain there from a fairly innocuous looking incident. There's incidents when that's obviously not the case, but I don't think these new boots are helping things. I hate missing out on playing, so at least say something nasty about these boots to make me feel better.

Bah,

rant over.

New boots are absolutely ****e in my opinon.

They offer no protection at all.

They seem to be all about the style rather than the substance. Fairly apt for some players as well actually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)