+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Read

Good Read

For those ineterested in the football equivalent of moneyball - The Numbers Game is a great read.

Might foster a little more sympathy for managers and also affect how you look at games too.

Looks interesting, will give it a go cheers.

Last football related book I read was the journeyman. Autobiography of a bloke who started off at arsenal academy but ended up playing his whole career throughout the lower leagu.

Bit about Steve Evans was amusing.

Snap, read that to cromer, Steve Evans bit was indeed amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    For those ineterested in the football equivalent of moneyball - The Numbers Game is a great read.

Might foster a little more sympathy for managers and also affect how you look at games too.
    Have you read Soccernomics by Simon Kuper? - Really interesting on how money guides football as against other factors like population, numbers of players, history, etc. Lots of stats about how sides should win, based on various computations. I remember he said (in 2009 when it was published) that Paris St Germain should be the most successful club in the world using all the evidence and algorithms etc. They hadn't won their league for 15 years at the time. Then bought by the Qataris and started winning things every year domestically, if not in the euro comps. Very interesting on national teams' potential for winning stuff too....

This thread is going to cost me more than my £10 Amazon gift voucher, which was gratefully received.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Have you read Soccernomics by Simon Kuper? - Really interesting on how money guides football as against other factors like population, numbers of players, history, etc. Lots of stats about how sides should win, based on various computations. I remember he said (in 2009 when it was published) that Paris St Germain should be the most successful club in the world using all the evidence and algorithms etc. They hadn't won their league for 15 years at the time. Then bought by the Qataris and started winning things every year domestically, if not in the euro comps. Very interesting on national teams' potential for winning stuff too....
    yes and there are references to that in the numbers game. Have you read Futebol too about the spread of ball things Brazilian?

Can I recommend a book written by Millwall fan and ex Royal Marine Graham Price. It's a fictional story based upon intimate personal experiences of having travelled to many parts of the Globe on military missions. A truly amazing journey, where this action packed story, full of intrigue and passion will unfold. A great deal of it is true.

It's called "A Piece of the Action" cracking read, you can get it on Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyoptimistic View Post
    yes and there are references to that in the numbers game. Have you read Futebol too about the spread of ball things Brazilian?
    Haven't but will definitely put it on the list, thanks....

One more recommendation - don't shoot me on this, i can't stand the guy, but the best autobiography of a footballer i've ever read (before he joined the Scum) was the Ibrahimovic one - absolutely hilarious in places, sometimes intentionally, but really honest and quite brutal, as well as very revealing about how the new type of footballers think. I can't believe he got away with saying the stuff about playing for Van Gaal and Guardiola.

Quote Originally Posted by Jezleeds View Post
    Haven't but will definitely put it on the list, thanks....

One more recommendation - don't shoot me on this, i can't stand the guy, but the best autobiography of a footballer i've ever read (before he joined the Scum) was the Ibrahimovic one - absolutely hilarious in places, sometimes intentionally, but really honest and quite brutal, as well as very revealing about how the new type of footballers think. I can't believe he got away with saying the stuff about playing for Van Gaal and Guardiola.
    havent read that but will check it out. Two other old but great reads Gary Nelson and Steve Claridge autobiographies - very very honest and illuminating.

I quite liked Batty’s book for the honesty in it such as where he admitted following through in more than his tackling - I think the phrase is he touched cloth....

Mr Men books are a cracking read.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)