+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: RIP Jimmy Armfield

RIP Jimmy Armfield

Passed away after battling cancer .

From a bygone era where players stayed at one club for the majority of their careers .

A real gentlemen was Jim and a fine broadcaster on radio five live .

RIP Jim .

https://www.theguardian.com/football...n-dies-aged-82

RIP Jimmy Armfield , proper player ( and part of the England World Cup winning squad ) God Bless

Remember him ont wireless radio 5live

I remember Jimmy was tasked by the FA to find the England manager after Graham Taylor got the sack in 1993 .

This was an even bigger task than normal because we were hosting Euro 96 and wouldn't be playing any competitive games for 3 years .

Jimmy went around the country and talked to a huge number of people within the game , he could have delivered who he wanted or played the safe FA man .

He did neither of those things , he chose the best man for the job at that time and Terry Venables most definitely wasn't everyone's cup of char with let's say other things hanging over his head .

It proved to be absolutely spot on because Venables was within a millimetre of winning the tournament and his team played some great football that summer , as good at times as I've seen from England , the 4-1 win over Holland was a superb display of english football at it's finest .

Extremely knowledgeable football man was Jimmy and there's not too many of his kind around today .

I often wondered what went wrong with Venables second time round when he was assistant to Steve Maclaren?