+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Miller for the Alex?

Miller for the Alex?

Reports suggest that the Alex are chasing former Alex academy graduate, Shaun Miller (30). With limited starts for Carlisle this season, this could be a tempting move for the former Crewe favourite, who lives in the vicinity of Crewe. I would welcome back the man who scored a hat-full when he partnered Clayton Donaldson in that high scoring season under Dario's stewardship. He left the following season when Steve Davis took charge. Rumours are circulating too, that one of our experienced players is about to join Ryan Lowe's outfit, Bury in L1. Thoughts?

Mick, if Miller does come back here on loan I am sure everyone will welcome him with open arms. I am not sure he is the answer but if we sign him I will be fully supporting as with anyone else we may sign. As for one of our experienced players leaving to join Lowe at Bury, well that can only be Dagnall and he is injured so I can't see that really. I am no doubt gonna be proved wrong which of course wouldn't be the first time!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Mick, if Miller does come back here on loan I am sure everyone will welcome him with open arms. I am not sure he is the answer but if we sign him I will be fully supporting as with anyone else we may sign. As for one of our experienced players leaving to join Lowe at Bury, well that can only be Dagnall and he is injured so I can't see that really. I am no doubt gonna be proved wrong which of course wouldn't be the first time!
    Heard a rumour that Chris Porter (or rather, his wife) wants to move back down south, so Miller could be a replacement. Dagnall is out for 5 weeks so I expect him to be here until his contract runs down.

But Porter came here because he wanted to return up north! Don't want to lose him.
    Dagnall? I'm not sure but he did show at the end of last season that he can score goals. Have we really got players in place to replace him longer term?

Gone all quiet on the transfer front. Something is supposed to be happening soon, they said. Dave Artell is certainly not having much luck on the injury front. Dagnall and Porter the latest casualties.

Both Daggers and Porter out for 4 to 6 weeks, so we will need help up front. Whether Miller is the answer, I'm not sure to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by whosbrianwilson View Post
    Both Daggers and Porter out for 4 to 6 weeks, so we will need help up front. Whether Miller is the answer, I'm not sure to be honest.
    I am not sure, either, but any port in a storm with the rotten luck that Artell is having this season, regarding injuries. He is certainly doing his best under difficult circumstances and limited cash to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Crew View Post
    Heard a rumour that Chris Porter (or rather, his wife) wants to move back down south, so Miller could be a replacement. Dagnall is out for 5 weeks so I expect him to be here until his contract runs down.
    Reason Ports came back up north was he wanted to end his career back round the north west. As for Daggers his lad is at the academy but Bury with Lowe at the helm wants him as they are good friends also Daggers is out of contract in the summer so I would imagine he will leave.

That assumes Lowe will still be manager in the summer - Bury are shedding managers in the manner of a lower table Italian club at the moment!

As regards Daggers, he scores in streaks and he hasn’t had one for the best part of a year now. I’m not sure I’d be too upset if he left, although you can’t criticise his effort and commitment he isn’t getting any younger. Miller was always quick, in the manner of Dagnall, and brave and has to be worth a punt - or would we rather get an Academy kid from elsewhere with an unproven record?

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    That assumes Lowe will still be manager in the summer - Bury are shedding managers in the manner of a lower table Italian club at the moment!

As regards Daggers, he scores in streaks and he hasn’t had one for the best part of a year now. I’m not sure I’d be too upset if he left, although you can’t criticise his effort and commitment he isn’t getting any younger. Miller was always quick, in the manner of Dagnall, and brave and has to be worth a punt - or would we rather get an Academy kid from elsewhere with an unproven record?
    Good point about Bury and managers. Some would have us go down that route. With regard to Miller and his relative merits. Like others, I am not sure he is the answer. However, as you rightly say, even at the age of 30 he still has more pace than most of our strikers and is as likely to find the net as all of them. Porter has scored a few but Dagnall has been disappointing this season. Reilly is not really quite ready to shoulder the responsibility of scoring the goals to transport us away from the bottom of the table, (he may have been an option if we were safe but it would be unfair to thrust him into the spotlight in the current circumstances) and those who are calling for an experienced goal scorer should be mindful that they are not readily available. Those available for loan or transfer are not wanted by their clubs for whatever reason (possibly because they haven't been getting goals) which may suggest they are perhaps not as good as some might wish. As I said, not sure Miller is the answer but if he is available and happy to come here then there could be worse options. He also might feel he has something to prove!