+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To all selfish standers

I have attended somewhere approaching 100 away games over the last 5 or 6 seasons and Burnley fans stand en masse.

Occasionally we come across a fan who is having a treat, usually with family (just like OC did on Saturday) and cannot stand for ninety minutes nor was expecting to do so.

From the stewards point of view it is impossible to make 2000 fans sit, especially when a lot of them are fuelled on the demon drink.

If the police get involved it kicks off and who wants to incite 2000 fans into a mass brawl?

Going back to the Turf and OC's experience, I did not know this situation existed outside of the Cricket Field End.

It is however clear that the ground management staff are aware of this trend and I find it pretty much inexcusable that a Burnley fan can spend somewhere around £200.00 on travel and ticket expenses for himself and his family and then experience a horrible afternoon.

I'll see what Dave Baldwin thinks?

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Thanks outwood. I don’t think anyone near us was of a violent nature. It may be custom for everyone in the know to stand and most were before the start, then everyone stood to cheer the teams out, it’s just that no one then sat down so it would be difficult to spot the leaders. The club could say something like “Ladies and Gents please now kindly take your seats to let everyone especially children behind you see the game.”
    I do wonder if there isn’t an HSE issue here and one for the local authority over Ground regulations.
    All seater stadiums were introduced for a H & S reason...

Tricky one BT.

I am surprised that you didn't know about standing in parts of the JHL? People who visit occasionally may be unaware that people stand in the CFS and parts of the JHL, and this should be explained at the point of purchase.

If you approach Dave Baldwin are you going to mention the CFS as well? Because if they are going to crack down on our fans standing then surely the away fans must be equally treated as well.

Surely it is only a matter of time before safe standing is introduced and then these problems would vastly reduce.

Quote Originally Posted by 1959_60 View Post

Surely it is only a matter of time before safe standing is introduced and then these problems would vastly reduce.
    There is a case to be put forward for limited (repeat limited) amounts of safe standing areas and I think this would go hand in hand with a tougher stance on those who are persistently standing in seating areas and spoiling the enjoyment of other customers.

Absolutely Outwood.

And I think that other countries have proven that standing is perfectly safe. If priced right it could entice a whole new customer base to the Turf, who have been priced out for many years. It should also improve the atmosphere as well.

And as you say, standing in other areas could be policed a lot more effectively.

Absolutely Outwood.

And I think that other countries have proven that standing is perfectly safe. If priced right it could entice a whole new customer base to the Turf, who have been priced out for many years. It should also improve the atmosphere as well.

And as you say, standing in other areas could be policed a lot more effectively.
    For me Its not about the pricing 59/60,it's about the ability to move and stand where you went and when you want.. The new safe standing still won't allow you to move around to other parts of the ground..It will just allow you to stand where they put you ..

I know this doesn't make it right OC, but it happens at every ground.

Mrs 59-60 was a season ticket holder at Old Trafford (Stretford End) for many years.

During their glory years the Stretford End stood at practically every match.

Result? My wife couldn't see the matches and reluctantly she gave up her season ticket.

She now actually prefers to go to Turf Moor. Nearer the action, not as corporate and she can actually SEE the matches.

A couple of times we have had to stand through the games and she had very limited visibility (Cricket Field End and JHL) so we now avoid these areas.

I totally understand your frustration - making such a long journey with so many people - but Burnley is no worse than any other ground in the Prem for this.

Next time try the Jimmy Mac stand.

I realise this is not what you want to hear, but there are more appropriate places for you and the clan to watch the game from.
    Thanks 59-60
    Just back from meetings.
    Yes I know it can happen and experienced it at Huddersfield two years ago, though we were able to move there to get a sitting view.
    We went in JML last time, on this occasion by the time we got domestics sorted (and they are very complicated!) the only place we could get 8 seats together was in JHL Block 2 either front two rows said to have restricted views and likely to get drenched if it rains or Row P. We should have gone to the front!
    Had we been warned of the club policy in this block on the website we would definitely have done it.

Thanks BT
    My son lives in Leeds and has been to three games, last time in JHU at the back near JMU where he said fans were also standing - so is anywhere safe from these people.

I have had a further reply from Harriet kindly offering seats at a game of our choice, so that’s very fair and I suspect may have been 8nfluenced by you and fellow posters so many thanks and also saying they will make announcements.

The only problem for me now will be getting the clan up for another 15 hour stint from Glasgow.

Absolutely Outwood.

Have no problem with safe standing areas! Celtic already have them. Not sure how they are priced comparatively.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)